Transferring OS and Content over to a new drive?

ferrari91169

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
Just have a quick question about transferring content from one drive, to another.

I just ordered a 128GB SSD to put into my laptop, to replace the 320GB 5400RPM that it has. I'm wondering if I could hook both the new SSD, and the HDD, into my main computer, as slave drives, and just copy all the content from one, to the other. Or is it more complicated than that?

I just have a lot of data on my 320GB drive, that I don't want to have to bother with transferring from a USB Stick, and having to do about 10 different transfers in total.

I know there are programs out there that will allow you to create an image of your OS, or something to that effect, but if I choose to go that route, it won't save any of my data will it?

And the Windows 7 License Key won't get messed up in any way will it?

Thanks, just trying to decide the best way to move to my new drive.

ferrari91169

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009

Would hooking both drives up as slave drives not act as the same thing? Both would still be accessible to transfer data from one, to another, correct? I don't understand why it has to be through a SATA to USB adapter.

you have some options. you could clone the data to the new drive with a tool like Clonezilla, but it is not recommended to that from HDD to SSD. You can copy your data from drive to drive, but not the OS or programs. you can use the free tool MagicBean to retreive your windows license key if you've lost it and install WIndows to the new drive.