Transferring os To new machine

Trey_5

Reputable
Aug 26, 2016
I Recently had to rebuild my whole entire PC due to a faulty board. Back in 2014 I had to purchase windows 7 home premium oem for a PC I built. After a few years I upgraded to windows 10, my luck turned, my computer Gabe out. Now I am about to build another PC, with new CPU and motherboard, can I still use the key I purchase back in 2014 and upgrade into windows 10?

Solution
How much of old PC are you using in new one? if you just replaced motherboard and CPU, you could try to reactivate your old install. you could download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB and install win 10 and when you get to screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will install and could show activated (Did you use a Microsoft account as your logon on last PC?). Its likely to show as Unactivated though and you will have to call Microsoft and beg your case for reactivation.

I think you need to buy win 10 again as by replacing motherboard/cpu you have a new PC in Microsofts eyes. If you had just replaced the board and kept the rest of PC the same there is a...

USAFRet

Titan

No.
That Win 7 license is no longer valid. And the upgrade period ended July 29.

You need to purchase a new OS for your new PC.

Colif

Win 11 Master
How much of old PC are you using in new one? if you just replaced motherboard and CPU, you could try to reactivate your old install. you could download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB and install win 10 and when you get to screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will install and could show activated (Did you use a Microsoft account as your logon on last PC?). Its likely to show as Unactivated though and you will have to call Microsoft and beg your case for reactivation.

I think you need to buy win 10 again as by replacing motherboard/cpu you have a new PC in Microsofts eyes. If you had just replaced the board and kept the rest of PC the same there is a chance you could get Microsoft to reactivate your Digital entitlement on that PC but you probably need to buy a licence. Can run win 10 deactivated until you get one.

Solution