Transferring Program Files to secon hard disk

Rob

I was wondering if there was a way to transfer the Program Files folder to
the second disk withouth messing up the start path of those programs, and
still be able to access them in the Start menu.

The Windows XP Registry has keys and strings for the software installed in your Program
Files subfolders, giving that path. You cannot just move that folder, or its subfolders
to a different location. You would have to uninstall each application using Control
Panel/Add or Remove Programs, then reboot your system, and then reinstall each
application to its new path. Some software allows you to change the default path of
install from C:\Program Files\ to another path during the installation process, and some
software will not give you that option. Software which follows the second scenario would
then have to be installed to C:\Program Files. Also, the C:\Program Files folder has some
subfolders with Windows XP components and shared common files which cannot be moved. So,
for that reason as well, you cannot just move the Program Files folder and its subfolders.
Your system would suffer severe consequences.
--

T.C.
t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com

"Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I was wondering if there was a way to transfer the Program Files folder to
> the second disk withouth messing up the start path of those programs, and
> still be able to access them in the Start menu.

Uninstall the program from the first location. Reinstall the program to the
new location.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban