Dec 23, 2018
G'day, so right now I'm on windows 7 ultimate x64 and I am using my old system parts to write this as I just upgraded my system with new CPU, MOBO, RAM, COOLER and M.2 SSD. I already had a 120gb SSD and 1TB HDD, RX 580, etc.

Before upgrading my RIG I updated my system to WIN 10 cuz my new 3rd gen CPU doesn't support WIN 7. I upgraded my system... I chucked my old SSD back in wanting to use a program to change the boot drives from the 2.5 120gb to the 240gb M.2 SSD. Aaand Windows failed to load...
I'm guessing because it's going from one system to the next. So I grabbed the WIN 10 media creation USB that I had made and put it in to just reinstall WIN 10 but it kept saying after installing when loading that it needed to be repaired and nothing worked ANY SUGGESTIONS? plz

Solution
What are specs of the PC? what parts you have it it?

Moving an install from 1 PC to another is not a guarantee with Win 10, its pretty good but its not perfect.

are both drives still in PC? I would only have the ssd you want windows on in drive or the installer will use the boot partition on old install for the new one, and if you ever remove old drive, windows won't boot

is your licence linked to an email address? When you upgraded to win 10, did you give MIcrosoft an email address? By default, windows 10 licenses are tied to the hardware they are installed on, unless your user is linked to an email address, as then you can move licence to new PC. If its still tied to motherboard, do you have the win 7 license key as you might need...

Colif

Win 11 Master
What are specs of the PC? what parts you have it it?

Moving an install from 1 PC to another is not a guarantee with Win 10, its pretty good but its not perfect.

are both drives still in PC? I would only have the ssd you want windows on in drive or the installer will use the boot partition on old install for the new one, and if you ever remove old drive, windows won't boot

is your licence linked to an email address? When you upgraded to win 10, did you give MIcrosoft an email address? By default, windows 10 licenses are tied to the hardware they are installed on, unless your user is linked to an email address, as then you can move licence to new PC. If its still tied to motherboard, do you have the win 7 license key as you might need to contact MIcrosoft after the install to move licenses - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
"new CPU, MOBO, RAM, COOLER and M.2 SSD "

If you've come to the point of it not booting up with the old OS, it is time for a full wipe and reinstall.

So I grabbed the WIN 10 media creation USB that I had made and put it in to just reinstall WIN 10 but it kept saying after installing when loading that it needed to be repaired and nothing worked ANY SUGGESTIONS? plz

They already tried that :)