Question transferring things from one ssd to another

jaydenmeyer829

Reputable
Oct 22, 2017
I got a Samsung 970 evo plus for christmas and want to know how to take my current m.2 boot ssd and transfer everything to it so I can boot windows off of it and then use the old one for just game storage or whatever,

Via cloning or imaging.

Two similar processes with the same result.

Cloning is a one step process.

Imaging has 2 steps...make the image, then restore it.

Macrium Reflect Free Edition is a popular app to do it. Others are Aomei, Acronis, etc. Varying results, varying frustration.

If cloning fails try imaging, or vice versa.

Know what you will do if both fail.

jaydenmeyer829

Reputable
Oct 22, 2017
Via cloning or imaging.

Two similar processes with the same result.

Cloning is a one step process.

Imaging has 2 steps...make the image, then restore it.

Macrium Reflect Free Edition is a popular app to do it. Others are Aomei, Acronis, etc. Varying results, varying frustration.

If cloning fails try imaging, or vice versa.

Know what you will do if both fail.
I tried using Aomei for it but I need pro since I think my C drive is MBR and the new samsung I formatted as a GPT and I dont wanna spend 50 on it

jaydenmeyer829

Reputable
Oct 22, 2017
Are you unwilling to convert the source drive from MBR to GPT before cloning?

There are tools that supposedly will do that. I have no experience with them. Obviously, back up your data before any attempt.
I have no issue trying to convert the mbr to a gpt first I just didnt know I could do that without losing data, I dont even know why I formatted this drive as an mbr in the first place

jaydenmeyer829

Reputable
Oct 22, 2017
What size is the target drive, and how much space is consumed on the source drive?
I uninstalled somethings that I can just redownload later to make the process hopefully better, but to answer your question my C drive is using 494gb out of 926gb and the drive I want to copy everything over to is 926gb and completely blank

jaydenmeyer829

Reputable
Oct 22, 2017
OK, just checking.

Does Macrium give you any error messages?
No, since I made that first reply I cancelled the cloning process while the overall progress was at 0 and the current was 99, I then formatted the target drive to make it squeaky clean again and restarted the process, and it stopped moving when the overall and current progress was 7, I stopped it once more and uninstalled many things and am trying to do it again for the third time, hoping for it to work

jaydenmeyer829

Reputable
Oct 22, 2017
How much exactly is this "for awhile"?

BTW - what is source drive for the cloning?
I'm understanding - you want to migrate from 1TB M.2 drive to another 1TB M.2 drive. What's wrong with the old one?
awhile was probably like 30 minutes at the same point, and the reason why is that my current m.2 is non nvme and not cached and the 970 evo plus has a cache and is an nvme drive