Transferring to a HD

stan

My Dimension 4600 came with a WD40GB HD. I wanted more space.

I bought and installed a Seagate 120GB HD. I formatted the new drive as one
120 GB partition and copied the entire WD 40GB HD, using the Seagate
utility software that came with the drive. I then removed the WD HD and made
the Seagate drive as the only HD.

Everything seems to work fine except the Word 2002 that came with the PC.
When I tried to run the Word, I get an error message saying, "Unable to
install the feature. Use repair to restore". I tried to repair using the
ADD?REMOVE in Control Panel. and Word 2002 installation CD. Then I get an
error message asking for the network location of some files.

Did I miss any copying procedure? If I have to re-format the Seagate, what
procedures should I follow? I could always go back to the HD that came with
the PC.

Thanks in advance

"Stan" <stnliscusx@excit.com> wrote:

>My Dimension 4600 came with a WD40GB HD. I wanted more space.
>
>I bought and installed a Seagate 120GB HD. I formatted the new drive as one
>120 GB partition and copied the entire WD 40GB HD, using the Seagate
>utility software that came with the drive. I then removed the WD HD and made
>the Seagate drive as the only HD.
>
>Everything seems to work fine except the Word 2002 that came with the PC.
>When I tried to run the Word, I get an error message saying, "Unable to
>install the feature. Use repair to restore". I tried to repair using the
>ADD?REMOVE in Control Panel. and Word 2002 installation CD. Then I get an
>error message asking for the network location of some files.
>
>Did I miss any copying procedure?

In the past, when I have repartitioned my HD and/or installed a
second drive, I have experienced occasions when
upgrading/changing Win9x or an MS Office program, or whatever, of
getting that "Where are these files?" message when the factory
disk is safely in the CD drive. Finally figured out that the
install procedure was looking at the /old/ CD drive designation,
say D:\ [which the program remembers from its original
installation], when by repartioning/adding a drive, my CD drive
is now G:\. Solution for this is simple, just overwrite the D:\
with the G:\, and the upgrade/whatever quietly goes on about its
business. Dunno if this is your problem.

[XP solved that. When I repartitioned my HD into several drives,
the boot drive remained C:, the CD/CD-RW remained D: and E:, and
the new logical drives picked up with F: But, AIUI, this can be
overridden, to where the added physical/logical HD
partitions/drives pick up at D:, and the CD drive(s) go to the
end of the line after all the physical/logical HD
partitions/drives have received their letters.]
--
OJ III

Did you ever boot the system after cloning, with both drives in the system?
If so, the drive letters changed - repeat the cloning process, and
immediately disconnect the older drive before you boot the system with the
cloned drive.

"Stan" <stnliscusx@excit.com> wrote in message
> My Dimension 4600 came with a WD40GB HD. I wanted more space.
>
> I bought and installed a Seagate 120GB HD. I formatted the new drive as
> one 120 GB partition and copied the entire WD 40GB HD, using the Seagate
> utility software that came with the drive. I then removed the WD HD and
> made the Seagate drive as the only HD.
>
> Everything seems to work fine except the Word 2002 that came with the PC.
> When I tried to run the Word, I get an error message saying, "Unable to
> install the feature. Use repair to restore". I tried to repair using the
> ADD?REMOVE in Control Panel. and Word 2002 installation CD. Then I get an
> error message asking for the network location of some files.
>
> Did I miss any copying procedure? If I have to re-format the Seagate, what
> procedures should I follow? I could always go back to the HD that came
> with the PC.
>
> Thanks in advance

stan

> Did you ever boot the system after cloning, with both drives in the
> system?
> If so, the drive letters changed - repeat the cloning process, and
> immediately disconnect the older drive before you boot the system with the
> cloned drive.

I think I did once. When I made the cloned HD as the only HD, it had the
name 'Disc Vol2'. I changed it to 'Local Disk' - the name the primary drive
had originally. It didn't help.

May be I should redo the cloning process again. Thanks.