Question Transferring Win10(Home) ownership

Mar 18, 2019
I just purchased a mini laptop from an auction. It has Windows 10 home installed and in settings it states it is activated. I do not have any of the previous owners details but would like to transfer ownership to myself and I think it may also be a good idea to then do a re-install, however I have no idea how to do this. Could someone give me some step by step instruction on completing the task

Since starting this thread, I just noticed a note from the previous owner in the documents folder which reads:
I chose the "activate offline" option so I didnt put in my passwords. if you go Start button > Settings > Accounts you can see whats there. I think you have full administrator access on that account so you can set a new owner name and delete the current name “Owner”.

Thanking you in advance

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
It sound like the activation is currently tied to the PC itself. Therefor just by owning PC you have transferred ownership.

if you want to clean install win 10
download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

With USB in PC, from the desktop, go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup,. click restart now
this loads you into a blue menu at startup
on first page there should be an option called Use a device
Pick the USB drive and PC will restart and boot from USB

follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html
when you reach the screen asking for license, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished

Windows 10 activation is all stored on Microsoft servers. A record of the licence + details of current PC are stored on these servers, and after the install the PC will check it is activated.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Do you have an account? If not, you can make one here - link

When you install win 10 and create user it will ask for the email address and password for account., ever since version 1607 of Win 10 that action alone is likely to link the license to your email account.

If you decide not to reinstall win 10, or if it doesn't auto link account after install, you should be able to go to settings/update & security/activation and in there is a link to add an account. That should change the activation line to say Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account