Question Transferring Win10 to New Build

dakzhul

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2012
Hello everyone,

I am currently working on a new PC build but I was able to salvage my HDD from my previous PC. I plan on using this HDD as backup storage and then an SSD for everything else, but can I still use the Win10 that's already loaded on this HDD?

So to summarize, can I use an old copy of Win10 on my new build if it's saved on a HDD that I plan on using? No I do not have an activation code as this was part of the Win7 upgrade a few years ago.

Thanks!

Hello everyone,

I am currently working on a new PC build but I was able to salvage my HDD from my previous PC. I plan on using this HDD as backup storage and then an SSD for everything else, but can I still use the Win10 that's already loaded on this HDD?

So to summarize, can I use an old copy of Win10 on my new build if it's saved on a HDD that I plan on using? No I do not have an activation code as this was part of the Win7 upgrade a few years ago.

Thanks!
I recommend a clean install....as that version on the HDD was installed on a machine with different hardware than your new PC will have (most likely). I've had this cause issues.

Reactions: dakzhul

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
For the OS activation, read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

For the actual operation, you probably need to do a full wipe and reinstall in the new hardware.

When building up a new system and wanting to use the old OS, basically 3 possibilities:
  1. It boots up just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It boots up, but you're chasing issues for weeks.
I've seen all 3.

A fresh install is strongly recommended, often required.

I had a feeling it would be best to do a fresh install - glad I picked up a copy so I'm ready whenever!

Thanks!
You're welcome.
I think it's ALWAYS better to do a clean install in situations like this.
I think cutting corners in this case has the potential to have you spending a lot more time cleaning up the mess than doing a clean install from the get go.

is your previos PC still in working order? you need to make sure your copy of windows is linked to a microsoft account in order to have a chance of transferring it over. if your previos PC was a prebuilt then its hard to say if that will work

this is a gray area situation where the transfer process is supposed to be for situations like if you had to replace a failed motherbord in your old PC. it was not ment to be used to transfer a windows 10 liscence over to a completly new PC.

dakzhul

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2012
Hello everyone,

I went the route of just doing a fresh install of 10 onto my new SSD. I have not hooked the old HDD in yet, but do you think it is safe to hook it up and delete the old 10 without any issues?

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS