[SOLVED] Transferring Win10 to New Build

dakzhul

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2012
Hello everyone,

I am currently working on a new PC build but I was able to salvage my HDD from my previous PC. I plan on using this HDD as backup storage and then an SSD for everything else, but can I still use the Win10 that's already loaded on this HDD?

So to summarize, can I use an old copy of Win10 on my new build if it's saved on a HDD that I plan on using? No I do not have an activation code as this was part of the Win7 upgrade a few years ago.

Thanks!

Solution
For the OS activation, read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

For the actual operation, you probably need to do a full wipe and reinstall in the new hardware.

When building up a new system and wanting to use the old OS, basically 3 possibilities:
  1. It boots up just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It boots up, but you're chasing issues for weeks.
I've seen all 3.

A fresh install is strongly recommended, often required.
Hello everyone,

I am currently working on a new PC build but I was able to salvage my HDD from my previous PC. I plan on using this HDD as backup storage and then an SSD for everything else, but can I still use the Win10 that's already loaded on this HDD?

So to summarize, can I use an old copy of Win10 on my new build if it's saved on a HDD that I plan on using? No I do not have an activation code as this was part of the Win7 upgrade a few years ago.

Thanks!
I recommend a clean install....as that version on the HDD was installed on a machine with different hardware than your new PC will have (most likely). I've had this cause issues.

Reactions: dakzhul

USAFRet

Titan
For the OS activation, read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

For the actual operation, you probably need to do a full wipe and reinstall in the new hardware.

When building up a new system and wanting to use the old OS, basically 3 possibilities:
  1. It boots up just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It boots up, but you're chasing issues for weeks.
I've seen all 3.

A fresh install is strongly recommended, often required.

Solution
I had a feeling it would be best to do a fresh install - glad I picked up a copy so I'm ready whenever!

Thanks!
You're welcome.
I think it's ALWAYS better to do a clean install in situations like this.
I think cutting corners in this case has the potential to have you spending a lot more time cleaning up the mess than doing a clean install from the get go.

is your previos PC still in working order? you need to make sure your copy of windows is linked to a microsoft account in order to have a chance of transferring it over. if your previos PC was a prebuilt then its hard to say if that will work

this is a gray area situation where the transfer process is supposed to be for situations like if you had to replace a failed motherbord in your old PC. it was not ment to be used to transfer a windows 10 liscence over to a completly new PC.

dakzhul

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2012
Hello everyone,

I went the route of just doing a fresh install of 10 onto my new SSD. I have not hooked the old HDD in yet, but do you think it is safe to hook it up and delete the old 10 without any issues?