[SOLVED] Transferring Windows 10 from ruined HDD to SSD with Win7?

Nov 16, 2018
Hello!

My loyal old SSHD just failed on me, and is completely ruined. I get booted into the automatic repair menu whenever I try to boot from this disk (which contains my OS (Win10). None of the options in the repair menu lead anywhere (none work), so I have acquired a new SSD, and realized I still had my Win7 retail box, that I upgraded to Win10 from on my SSHD. I booted up Win7 on my new SSD, only to get denied with my activation key. The system runs fine on Win7 from the SSD, but wont work at all from the SSHD with Win10. Is there any way to transfer Win10 from my ruined SSHD to my new SSD, without ruining everything? Or perhaps assist in fixing my old SSHD?

The reason why I can't just fix my SSHD is that I was having major problems with it, so I factory reset the entire thing, but the problems remained the same. Shortly after it wouldn't boot correctly, so I have no restore point to recover from.

Another problem is that now my computer won't connect to the internet, even with Ethernet.

All help is appreciated. Willing to provide more info if necessary.

Solution

So, for a replacement drive in that same system, you just need to do a full install on this new drive.
The system details are already recorded at Microsoft. IT will activate itself (eventually) when it goes online after the install.

You do not need, nor can use, your old WIn 7 license key.

Do a full wipe and reinstall of Win 10 on that new drive.
How to do a CLEAN installation of Windows 10

USAFRet

Titan
1. From a broken drive, you can't move whatever is on there to a new drive.

2. If your Win 7 was successfully upgraded to Win 10, you do not need, nor can you use, your old WIn 7 license.

3. If all you're changing is the drive (dead SSHD out, some new drive in), a clean install of WIn 10 would work on this new drive.
Of course, this means that you'll need to reinstall all your applications, etc.

4. Your Restore Points are null and void. Gone...pushing up the daises.

5. This is why we strongly recommend actual backups. A Restore Point on that same drive does, as you've seen, nothing.

Nov 16, 2018
Does this mean that I have to acquire a new license of Windows 10? My Win7 license expires in 30 days, as it wont accept the key. Apologies for my poor computing skills :/

Nov 16, 2018

Does this mean that I have to acquire a new license of Windows 10? My Win7 license expires in 30 days, as it wont accept the key. Apologies for my poor computing skills :/

USAFRet

Titan

Disregard your old Win 7 license.

This system was successfully upgraded to Win 10 at some point?

Nov 16, 2018

The SSHD was upgraded from Win7 to Win10, yes.

USAFRet

Titan

So, for a replacement drive in that same system, you just need to do a full install on this new drive.
The system details are already recorded at Microsoft. IT will activate itself (eventually) when it goes online after the install.

You do not need, nor can use, your old WIn 7 license key.

Do a full wipe and reinstall of Win 10 on that new drive.
How to do a CLEAN installation of Windows 10

Solution