Question Transferring Windows 10 to new PC

tacticalkali

Reputable
Oct 16, 2019
Hi there,

I'm building someone a new PC. Their Lenovo workstation has died, so I can't go into windows and remove the license key.
How can I transfer the license to a new PC?
Thanks

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Technically since it is an OEM the license isn't meant to be transferred to another build.

W10 is pretty much fully usable aside from customization related to themes and such without activation. You could run that route until they can pony up for the purchase of a new license for the new machine.

Reactions: PEnns

tacticalkali

Reputable
Oct 16, 2019
Technically since it is an OEM the license isn't meant to be transferred to another build.

W10 is pretty much fully usable aside from customization related to themes and such without activation. You could run that route until they can pony up for the purchase of a new license for the new machine.
That's what I thought
I'm doing this build for profit, its an intel system and they want it for $500. I'll barely make $50 if I pay the full price for a windows key direct from microsoft.
Are the ones on eBay legit?
When I wanted to dual boot w7 and w10 and I didn't have a w7 license, I bought keys for about $10 on eBay and they worked flawlessly

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Can they work? Yes, grey market keys can work.

As a person being paid to build a system for another, should you use one?
I wouldn't.

Your decision to utilize one for personal use is your decision to make. Doing so for another individual that is paying you to provide a service is a quandary.

I think it would require a conversation with the individual that you are building for that "I can load it with Windows, but unfortunately the price you are offering doesn't allow for licensure. You can go to (link them MS website) and purchase for yourself..."

Many really good free OS out there as well. Many of them are very work centric and are awesome for free office suite products.

OEM windows is not legitimately transported.
When you build for someone else, you become their pc support.
If you use grey market and later encounter problems YOU will have to fix it.
I would not, no way.
To meet the budget, explain the limitations of using the genuine code.
You will need to use basic default appearance options.
There will be a minimal watermark on the lower right hand portion of the monitor. Otherwise, you get all other support.

What died on the Lenovo workstation?
Perhaps you can fix that cheaper or use some of the parts.

Reactions: punkncat

Inthrutheoutdoor

Reputable
BANNED
Feb 17, 2019
A) If you buy anything tech-related from fleecebay, then your judgement must be questioned...
B) OEM licenses are not meant to be transferred to another machine.. period
C) If you buy anything tech-related from fleecebay, then your judgement must be questioned....
D) There are places where you can buy legit keys for ~$40 <Mod Comment: No there aren't>
E) If you buy anything tech-related from fleecebay, then your judgement must be questioned......

If you customer is too cheap to buy a key, then that's on them not you.... If they simply can't afford one, then perhaps they should reassess their priorities....

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but I build pc's for people too, and the very 1st question I ask them, before we even start talking about parts & labor costs, is if they have a legit, transferrable key, and/or are they prepared to buy one if they do not...

I think you mean ebay.
ebay is a legitimate marketplace, but like any, one must be careful.
You are reasonably well protected as a buyer if you pay via paypal.

As to legit windows licenses, a 10% discount may be reasonable.

Past that you really need to know your seller and read the fine print.

Inthrutheoutdoor

Reputable
BANNED
Feb 17, 2019
eBay USED to be da bomb for buying & selling stuff online, but that was many, many moons ago....

Nowadays, it is merely a somewhat "legitimate" wild west storefront for scammers, scalpers and others of ill repute IMHO..... hence my initial comment....

I'm not saying everyone on there is bad, but I've heard way, way too many horror stories about people getting ripped off that I now only use their listings as a pricing reference tool when I want to sell my stuff elsewhere..

When it comes to pc parts particularly, sooooo many buyers get screwed by sellers sending them fake/counterfit/used/broken stuff.... and legitimate sellers get screwed by scumbags filing complaints saying they either never received the shipment, or that the stuff was different from what they paid for, and in most of these cases, eBay/paypal almost ALWAYS sides with the buyer by refunding their money in full.....

Nope, notta, no way, 'Jose :D

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
E-Bay does side with the buyer. Returns are a PITA. I stopped selling on Ebay. A couple of people returned perfectly working parts. Maybe they bought the wrong item now I had to pay for everything. Making up all sorts of BS. I test on multiple machines before shipping. No more.. It is more trouble then it is worth.