Transferring Windows 10

thejjbman

Prominent
Oct 3, 2017
I have a completely new build and would like a clean install of Windows on it. I was looking for cheap copies of Windows online but sites like G2Deal etc scare me and I don't particularly wanna pirate it either; however, nor do I wanna pay £100+ for it.

I already have Windows 10 Home edition on this PC after upgrading from Windows 7. Is it possible to move this edition onto a USB thumb drive and install it onto my new system? If so, what are the requirements (i.e. product key) because I don't have a box or a disc for it as it came pre-installed with this current PC.

If I do move the OS onto a USB, what will happen to my current PC? Will I need to move vital files prior to doing this? Am I able to wipe my hard drive before doing this, or after? Do I need to install any third party software or can I do it as simply as dragging and dropping? Also, will it be the same as essentially buying a completely fresh copy?

Thanks in advance

Solution
if you want to run both pc you need another copy of windows 10 for the new build. if you dont have any funds for windows right now but will have some funds look at the windows insider program. you be a beta tester till you put in your new windows code. with windows 10 you make a usb stick from windows media creation tool. if your new build has an ssd and hard drive unplug the hard drive so windows installer only sees the ssd to put all of windows files on one drive. after it boots fine power down and connect the new hard drive back up make sure it seen in windows if not you make have to use windows disk management to format it. on the new pc once all of the drivers and updates have loaded. if you have a home network turn on file sharing on both pc and move or copy your data off of one pc to the new one. programs ike office you have to reinstall. with steam games copy the steam folder over then point steam to the folder to recover your games.

thejjbman

Prominent
Oct 3, 2017

Well it was installed by DinoPC, and I don't want Windows on this current PC anymore - I definitely can't remove it and use the product key on the new system?

Also, if I were to buy a new copy of Windows, can I get it to go on a USB? I don't have a CD Drive..

micosoft now lets you download and make as may usb iso sticks as needed for free they have a free tool called windows media creation tool to help people make new usb sticks. all you need now is the key code from microsoft or a known good resleller like newegg.

USAFRet

Titan
Solution