[SOLVED] Transferring Windows 10

Xavierol1

Reputable
May 1, 2020
Hey guys, I'm using my HDD from my old PC and putting it into my new PC and was just wondering if that will work for getting Windows 10 on my new PC. Also seen stuff about clean wiping it but in my head that just means it'll take Windows 10 off the HDD but I also think I have it linked to my Microsoft account but then that also seems like how am I meant to access my account when there is no OS, just need some help in this time of confusion, Thanks.

Solution
You didn't state the specs of the 2 machines but it probably won't work because the motherboard and CPU drivers are on the old HDD and probably won't work with the new motherboard/CPU since they get installed during the Windows installation.

The only way this would work is if both machines have exactly the same BIOS and motherboard and CPU.
You didn't state the specs of the 2 machines but it probably won't work because the motherboard and CPU drivers are on the old HDD and probably won't work with the new motherboard/CPU since they get installed during the Windows installation.

The only way this would work is if both machines have exactly the same BIOS and motherboard and CPU.

Solution

Xavierol1

Reputable
May 1, 2020

So it'd be better to clean wipe my HDD and then put it into the new PC and activate my Windows 10 through my Microsoft account?

USAFRet

Titan
You don't wipe the drive before you put it in...you wipe it during the new OS install you're going to do in the new system.

Later, you link your MS account for the Activation.

Xavierol1

Reputable
May 1, 2020
You don't wipe the drive before you put it in...you wipe it during the new OS install you're going to do in the new system.

Later, you link your MS account for the Activation.

Yeah that makes more sense now, so I'm getting a new SSD so if I do all those steps and put the OS on my new SSD would I just be able to plug in my old HDD after the OS is all activated and installed without wiping the HDD or would I still need to wipe it?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yeah that makes more sense now, so I'm getting a new SSD so if I do all those steps and put the OS on my new SSD would I just be able to plug in my old HDD after the OS is all activated and installed without wiping the HDD or would I still need to wipe it?

Windows installs are not desiged to be modular in this fashion. While Windows 10 will try to adjust to a new system, the best practice is to do it right the first time and not cut corners. Anything worth doing is worth doing correctly.