[SOLVED] Transferring Windows 10

I will soon be upgrading my daughters PC with a new cpu and motherboard. I wish to transfer her license key to the new system,(which will still have her current/old ssd) Can anyone please show me a link for a 'step by step' way to do this please. Her license key is a 'retail' version so I believe this can be done.

USAFRet

Titan
Also, you WILL need to do a fresh OS install.

Reactions: kurdtnz

TryHard4ever

Prominent
Oct 27, 2022
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

Basically, you verify that the license is attached to your (her) MS account.
Then, when the new system is built, you log into your MS account and tell it that the license is to be applied to THIS system.
Are you required to deactivate existing windows key in old motherboard via command prompts listed below before transfer?

• To Uninstall your Win product key: slmgr.vbs /upk
• To Clear Win license from registry: slmgr.vbs /cpky

Or just do it via MS account meaning you put in existing windows key at the same time in the old pc and new pc and you go back later in MS account and de-link existing windows key from old pc?

USAFRet

Titan
Are you required to deactivate existing windows key in old motherboard via command prompts listed below before transfer?

• To Uninstall your Win product key: slmgr.vbs /upk
• To Clear Win license from registry: slmgr.vbs /cpky

Or just do it via MS account meaning you put in existing windows key at the same time in the old pc and new pc and you go back later in MS account and de-link existing windows key from old pc?
Just do it within the MS account.
Deactivating/uninstalling it "on the motherboard" via slmgr does nothing, really. It only tells that system it no longer has a license. It does not tell that to the mothership.

TryHard4ever

Prominent
Oct 27, 2022
Just do it within the MS account.
Deactivating/uninstalling it "on the motherboard" via slmgr does nothing, really. It only tells that system it no longer has a license. It does not tell that to the mothership.
Thank you so much for clarifying this!! Most of the self help guides on Youtube and articles don't mention this step... So important!!!