Transferring Windows from HDD to SSD (leaving the data on the HDD)

ethan.redstone

Prominent
Feb 3, 2018
Okay, so here's the problem i'm faced with.

I am into computers, and know my stuff. However, I recently purchased an SSD (120GB) to install Windows 10 on, because my HDD was getting slow.

On my 2TB Hard Drive, there is currently around 1TB of data, INCLUDING Windows 10 & related files.

I cannot figure out how to transfer Windows 10 & the related files to this new SSD, whilst leaving all of my other data on the HDD, like Photos & other program files.

Right now, I don't believe I have another windows install key, or anything of that sort.

If anyone can recommend me a relatively straight forward method that I could use to complete this?

Thanks in advance,

Ethan

Solution
forget that, no way to do what you are asking.

i would install windows fresh to the SSD, then just use the HDD as the data drive. You can use an MS utility to make a USB with installable Win10 on it. If you do this, when you install, only have the SSD connected when you format and partition it with the installer. that way windows won't create partitions on all your drives needlessly. after windows is installed you can power down and connect your data HDD

you will need to reinstall all your programs

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
As far as I'm aware there is no good way to copy over just the OS.
Back up important files to some sort of cloud storage or if you have an external drive then move things over and anything else that can be redownloaded just make a list then during install process delete the partitions on the HDD to make it clean and install to the SSD so that the MBR doesnt get wonky on you.

You should be able to use the key again. Alternatively, if you are someone who signs into a Microsoft account on the PC for the user profile then just signing into that account on the new install should automatically activate the new install.

You can't transfer only the OS, you will need to reinstall the OS on the SSD (recommended you disconnect the 2TB HDD when you do this).
Your license key should be tied to the motherboard and activate ok.
All your software will need to be reinstalled due to the new Windows install, even when you install it on the old HDD as it won't have the needed dll's and registry entries.

forget that, no way to do what you are asking.

i would install windows fresh to the SSD, then just use the HDD as the data drive. You can use an MS utility to make a USB with installable Win10 on it. If you do this, when you install, only have the SSD connected when you format and partition it with the installer. that way windows won't create partitions on all your drives needlessly. after windows is installed you can power down and connect your data HDD

you will need to reinstall all your programs

Solution
You can try (without guarantee for success):
- borrow a large enough external HDD, and move over all data (videos, music, photos etc), then disconnect that drive from the system;
- delete all software which might have large footprint (Office, games, etc)
- check disk usage, and pray it's below 120GB
- clone the drive onto SSD