Question Transferring Windows from one computer to another

dragonfly22588

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
In 2012 I bought a retail copy of Windows 7 Home edition and installed it into the system I built. Since 2012 I took advantage of a free upgrade to Windows 10. I am now looking at finally upgrading my computer system and building a new system. I confirmed a few years ago on the forums that I have a legal copy. I am finally going to do the upgrade I didn't do a few years back but how do I actually get Windows onto to the new system? I need the steps. What happens if I ever need to power up my old system, can I access the files?

In 2012 I bought a retail copy of Windows 7 Home edition and installed it into the system I built. Since 2012 I took advantage of a free upgrade to Windows 10. I am now looking at finally upgrading my computer system and building a new system. I confirmed a few years ago on the forums that I have a legal copy. I am finally going to do the upgrade I didn't do a few years back but how do I actually get Windows onto to the new system? I need the steps. What happens if I ever need to power up my old system, can I access the files?

firstly was your windows 7 a retail

or was it a oem licence

dragonfly22588

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
As I said, I bought a retail version in 2012 not OEM. Yes my current system is the one in my signature with the i5-3470. I am buying and putting together an entirely new PC using the i5-12400F and I won't be using my current one. I just want to know the easiest way to "transfer" my license to the new PC. My understanding is that this isn't difficult.

USAFRet

Titan
As I said, I bought a retail version in 2012 not OEM. Yes my current system is the one in my signature with the i5-3470. I am buying and putting together an entirely new PC using the i5-12400F and I won't be using my current one. I just want to know the easiest way to "transfer" my license to the new PC. My understanding is that this isn't difficult.
Your current MS account should list your current PC and its license.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

dragonfly22588

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
The instruction on the link you posted are not clear to me. Did you intend to post that for me to verify my windows is licensed because if so, it is. The other instructions are about hardware change but not clear how I can take those steps if I don't even have windows. Please clarify.

The instruction on the link you posted are not clear to me. Did you intend to post that for me to verify my windows is licensed because if so, it is. The other instructions are about hardware change but not clear how I can take those steps if I don't even have windows. Please clarify.
its actualy very simple, during installation do not enter any windows key,leave it empty,
once installation ends, it will ask you to sign in to your online account, once you do so, thats all was needed, it will activate on its own, or you can use activation troubleshooter to help it activate faster...
it may activate right away or there might be some delay (windows activation servers works in mysterious way), but no key needed, online account uses digital license which is stored within your online account
if it doesnt activate after few days, contact microsoft support from windows apps and they will fix it, if theres some issue on theirs end

windows 10 can be downloaded from here, install it on USB, then you can boot from that USB drive to start installing windows once you have finished your PC upgrade

Last edited:
Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

dragonfly22588

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
@kerberos_20 Just to be clear, you started off by saying "...during the installation..." which I assume you mean the installation of Windows, I should not enter a Windows key. Would it matter that I happen to have this key from the original retail box I bought, would it make anything faster? However, the actual Windows installation sounds like it occurs after I boot from the USB (the part you mention at the end). So, if I'm correct the following steps are what you recommend in this order:

1. Assemble the new computer
  2. Boot Windows from USB
  3. Sign onto Windows account after install.

USAFRet

Titan
@kerberos_20 Just to be clear, you started off by saying "...during the installation..." which I assume you mean the installation of Windows, I should not enter a Windows key. Would it matter that I happen to have this key from the original retail box I bought, would it make anything faster? However, the actual Windows installation sounds like it occurs after I boot from the USB (the part you mention at the end). So, if I'm correct the following steps are what you recommend in this order:

1. Assemble the new computer
  2. Boot Windows from USB
  3. Sign onto Windows account after install.