Transferring Windows to New SSD

Camycam2ers

Reputable
Sep 1, 2014
Hola, I currently have a system with a 1TB hard drive with that I just cleaned through to only have windows and a couple of small programs on it.

And I also just finished formatting a brand new 240gb ssd to move said files onto. What is the easiest way to transfer the contents of my current hard drive to the new ssd? Could I just click and drag all of the contents or is there a utility that I have to use?

Solution

Then you did it wrong.
Assuming the original HDD is still bootable, redo it.

Exactly like this:
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
-----------------------------
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the...

WildCard999

Titan
You can't drag the contents over, you need to use a program such as EaseUS Partition Master to transfer everything over but TBH I used a program similar to it (can't remember, it was recommended by Sandisk) and it didn't work very well, ended up just doing a clean install of Windows onto the SSD and backed up any important files.

Check the SSD packaging, some offer a downloadable data/OS migration tool.
TBH it'll probably be nearly as quick to just do a clean install to the SSD and reinstall any software already on the HDD then just format the HDD for reuse, it'll give you a totally pristine Windows install and the opportunity to update all your system software at the same time.

USAFRet

Titan

How much total space is consumed on your current 1TB drive?
Is this a desktop or laptop?
What OS is this?

Camycam2ers

Reputable
Sep 1, 2014
I cloned the hard drive to the new ssd, but what next? If I try to boot from the ssd I just get a black screen saying to insert a boot disk. And I get the same result even if I remove the hard drive from the computer.

USAFRet

Titan

Then you did it wrong.
Assuming the original HDD is still bootable, redo it.

Exactly like this:
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe as necessary.
Delete the original boot partitions, here:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/4f1b84ac-b193-40e3-943a-f45d52e23685/cant-delete-extra-healthy-recovery-partitions-and-healthy-efi-system-partition?forum=w8itproinstall

Solution

Blackink

Distinguished

Great explanation and instructions on moving contents of your hard drive to another HD.
Are these above listed steps for Windows 10 only, or will they work with Windows 7?

USAFRet

Titan

Win 7/8.1/10....works for all.

The primary consideration is the space thing.
You must have some extra space on the target drive for this to work.
For instance...going into a 250GB drive, the space on the source drive must be below 200GB.
And you can't move 'only the OS' (as many people ask to do)

Camycam2ers

Reputable
Sep 1, 2014

Good thing I didn't wipe the old drive yet, thanks i'll get back to you when this is all over!

Camycam2ers

Reputable
Sep 1, 2014

I just finished booting up with the SSD, holy moly them load times!:D So I do I just plug my HDD back in and format that now?

USAFRet

Titan

If you are 100% sure (you might want to wait until tomorrow), yes.
Read the link at the bottom of the instructions.