[SOLVED] Transferring windows

NerdyNurse88

Prominent
Feb 27, 2020
I have my new computer mostly built I just need to put in my old drives, graphics and psu. My question is can I use my ssd with windows on it (bought key off newegg 8 years ago, script in command prompt says retail). I would love a fresh install of the os without losing data like pictures,documents and game downloads. What is the best way to do this? Last time I built it was just a new fresh install on an empty drive.

Solution
It was upgraded when it was free
Right.
So that original license key is null and void.

You need to verify if this current Win 10 license is linked to your MS account.

For the OS activation, read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

After that, you can probably transfer the license.

The actual install is different. That still needs a fresh install with the new hardware.

USAFRet

Titan
I have my new computer mostly built I just need to put in my old drives, graphics and psu. My question is can I use my ssd with windows on it (bought key off newegg 8 years ago, script in command prompt says retail). I would love a fresh install of the os without losing data like pictures,documents and game downloads. What is the best way to do this? Last time I built it was just a new fresh install on an empty drive.
A fresh install on the new hardware is strongly recommended, usually required.

Save your pic/docs/downloads off to some other physical drive.

Put the SSD in your new system, and do a clean install.

What OS is this? If you bought it "8 years ago", it is not Win 10 unless you upgraded from something else.

kanewolf

Titan
The SAFEST way is to use a new disk again this time. Otherwise, you need to create a backup of your important files on a disk that is not connected to the PC having windows installed.

NerdyNurse88

Prominent
Feb 27, 2020
A fresh install on the new hardware is strongly recommended, usually required.

Save your pic/docs/downloads off to some other physical drive.

Put the SSD in your new system, and do a clean install.

What OS is this? If you bought it "8 years ago", it is not Win 10 unless you upgraded from something else.
It was upgraded to windows 10 when it was free, it was 7.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
It was upgraded when it was free
Right.
So that original license key is null and void.

You need to verify if this current Win 10 license is linked to your MS account.

For the OS activation, read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

After that, you can probably transfer the license.

The actual install is different. That still needs a fresh install with the new hardware.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS