[SOLVED] Transformer upgrade for Dell i7 Optiplex

alandb

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
I have a Dell Optiplex 9020 MT i7 4790 3.6 Ghz with 32 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD. It has a 290 watt transformer. My old computer was upgraded with an EVGA 750 GQ that is about 1 year old. Would I benefit from installing the larger transformer and is it possible? I mostly use the computer for Photoshop and Lightroom.

Solution
The 9020 MB has an 8 pin MB connector in place of the 24 pin ATX, and a 4 pin CPU connector. So the PSU is different. There are adaptors. But the XE2 MT, and Precision T1700 365W PSU used the same connectors and had an added 6 pin PCIe cable (290W + 75W =365W). That would be the simplest upgrade for up to a 150W GPU.
First, don't use "transformer" when you refer to PSU (Power Supply Unit). Although there are (small) transformers inside the PSU, this is not the correct term.

Second - if your PC works fine in its current setup, there's no need to change it, unless you make some upgrades (eg more powerfull graphics adapter).

And last - many Dell computers in the past had incompatible (proprietary) PSUs, so before you do anything - download service documentation from Dell support site, and confirm your PC uses standard PSU.

The 9020 MB has an 8 pin MB connector in place of the 24 pin ATX, and a 4 pin CPU connector. So the PSU is different. There are adaptors. But the XE2 MT, and Precision T1700 365W PSU used the same connectors and had an added 6 pin PCIe cable (290W + 75W =365W). That would be the simplest upgrade for up to a 150W GPU.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS