Transmeta getting out of processor business

Ed

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
1,253
0
19,280
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 00:27:28 -0500, Yousuf Khan <bbbl67@ezrs.com> wrote:

>At least the manufacture of them...
>
>Transmeta mulls exit from processors | Tech News on ZDNet
>http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-5512466.html?tag=default
>
> Yousuf Khan

Will they even be missed?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

> Transmeta mulls exit from processors

Conspicuous by its absence here is any indication that
the company & its entire IP might be for sale, or if
for sale, that there are any interested buyers that
have made any offers even worth considering.

Does TM in fact own any assets (physical or intellectual)
that an AMD, HPQ, IBM, INTC, MSFT, VIA or some Chinese
upstart might be interested in?

--
Regards, Bob Niland mailto:name@ispname.tld
http://www.access-one.com/rjn email4rjn AT yahoo DOT com
NOT speaking for any employer, client or Internet Service Provider.
 

keith

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2004
1,335
0
19,280
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 20:07:13 -0600, Bob Niland wrote:

>> Transmeta mulls exit from processors
>
> Conspicuous by its absence here is any indication that
> the company & its entire IP might be for sale, or if
> for sale, that there are any interested buyers that
> have made any offers even worth considering.
>
> Does TM in fact own any assets (physical or intellectual)
> that an AMD, HPQ, IBM, INTC, MSFT, VIA or some Chinese
> upstart might be interested in?

....or doesn't already have rights to.

--
Keith
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 20:07:13 -0600, Bob Niland <email4rjn@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>> Transmeta mulls exit from processors
>
>Conspicuous by its absence here is any indication that
>the company & its entire IP might be for sale, or if
>for sale, that there are any interested buyers that
>have made any offers even worth considering.
>
>Does TM in fact own any assets (physical or intellectual)
>that an AMD, HPQ, IBM, INTC, MSFT, VIA or some Chinese
>upstart might be interested in?

Probably no.

What is MUCH more likely is that they will be bought out by a group of
bottom-feeder lawyers who will use questionable patents and
misdirected lawsuits to try and hold the rest of the CPU industry
hostage.

I smell another Rambus (or, worse yet, another SCO) just beginning to
take shape here.

-------------
Tony Hill
hilla <underscore> 20 <at> yahoo <dot> ca
 

keith

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2004
1,335
0
19,280
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 05:10:59 -0500, Tony Hill wrote:

> On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 20:07:13 -0600, Bob Niland <email4rjn@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>>> Transmeta mulls exit from processors
>>
>>Conspicuous by its absence here is any indication that
>>the company & its entire IP might be for sale, or if
>>for sale, that there are any interested buyers that
>>have made any offers even worth considering.
>>
>>Does TM in fact own any assets (physical or intellectual)
>>that an AMD, HPQ, IBM, INTC, MSFT, VIA or some Chinese
>>upstart might be interested in?
>
> Probably no.
>
> What is MUCH more likely is that they will be bought out by a group of
> bottom-feeder lawyers who will use questionable patents and
> misdirected lawsuits to try and hold the rest of the CPU industry
> hostage.

I think you're wrong on this one. The chickens have left that coop.


--
Keith