Transmitting cable TV over ethernet

Clayto1332

Reputable
Feb 10, 2015
Alright here is what I got. I have a house. At my house I have plain Jane cable TV, but I have some expensive channels (HBO, Starz, Cinemax). Across the street (paved, owned by the city) is a building I own. I don't want to pay for all these channels in two places right across from each other so here is my question.

Can I convert the cable signal on the coax cable to Ethernet somehow, then use Ubiquiti Nanostations or some other Access point/wireless bridge setup to get it across the street, then convert it back to cable so I can hook it into my coax wiring?

I have found there are coax to Ethernet adapters but they seem to be only for hooking up IP cameras to buildings that aready have coax cable ran for them and all of them have male BNC connectors.

I would know how to setup the network no problem if I had the right hardware to do the job. I just don't know if what I need exists or is even possible.

Solution
You can probably get fancy cable box which supports "slave" wireless boxes (if one can belive ads, XFinity got some).

Apart from SLingbox (or similar): Cable bandwidth is in magnitude of hundreds of megahertz, and no box could convert that analogue signal back and forth to fit into wireless Ethernet channel.
You can probably get fancy cable box which supports "slave" wireless boxes (if one can belive ads, XFinity got some).

Apart from SLingbox (or similar): Cable bandwidth is in magnitude of hundreds of megahertz, and no box could convert that analogue signal back and forth to fit into wireless Ethernet channel.

Solution

Clayto1332

Reputable
Feb 10, 2015
Slingbox seems to stream cable TV over the network to devices with a proprietary app installed. I would like to connect the cable to my whole coax network across the street as if I were to hard wire it.

Slingbox is a neat concept though and I will keep it in mind.

Edit in response to Alabalcho: This answers my question. If I can't do it then that is that... There are telephone poles around but I think some folks wouldn't take too kindly of me using them to run a cable across the street. Going under the road isn't really an option. It is probably time to buck up and fork over some cash.

Thank you....