Transparent 'Wysips' Film Enables Displays To Charge Batteries And Transfer Data

Status
Not open for further replies.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I wonder if these would be a better fit for e-Ink based readers. Cellphones and tablets are too power hungry, but I think e-ink readers might not need a charge if they used this tech. Imagine being able to take one on a backpacking trip or sailing and never having to worry about charging it.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
e-ink displays typically dont have a glossy surface. They use this film that absorbs most of the light, so i don't think it would work as well. If it did work, they would have tried it or used it as a example.

MobileEditor

Reputable
Nov 13, 2014
Sunpartner Technologies does list e-ink displays as one application for Wysips Crystal. Since e-readers don't use nearly as much power as phones or tablets, this technology would indeed have a greater impact on battery life.

- Matt

epobirs

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
An e-reader that never or very rarely needs charging would be a great feature.

Extending cell phone life is very worthwhile, and having the capability to charge at all if the user is stranded is potentially life saving. This is one reason I keep a flashlight/radio/charger driven by a hand crank generator in my car. It would feel really stupid in this day and age to be stuck in a secluded location and discover your phone is dead with no means of charging it. You might still be without signal but at least you'll have taken decent precaution.

Status
Not open for further replies.