Transporting a TV, need advice

I have an older Sony rear projection digital TV (can't remember the model
number
right now - I'm at work), but it's a 53" 4:3 with 16:9 viewing capability.
I need to
transport it about 1000 miles via pickup truck or SUV.

Can rear projection TV be laid on it's side, I seem to remember that is a no
no. Please advise on how this can be done.

Thanks!

-Wayne

If you did not save (or did not get) the original shipping carton I
would crate the thing.

large shipping carton with seperate base and lid.

Put cardboard base on floor with plywood base on top. use several
pieces of lath strip or 2 x 1 batten to give floor clearance.

Wrap set with movers blanket or other padding.

Put carton sides in place, pack any gaps with styrofoam insulation
board.

Put lid in place.

Check you have strapping edges in place and tighten straps.

Any rebutable moving company should be able to get you the right size
box.