Transporting my custom PC on a plane

directorJay

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
Hello everyone I need some help and suggestions on moving transporting my custom PC on a plane.

I am a college student who recently graduated and is planning to move back to my hometown (checkpoint!)

I built a custom PC more than a year ago that looks like this
l7xgZPU.jpg

I still have almost all the original boxes of each hardware.

So basically, I have 2 AIO coolers, and a 290x with a bracket so I'm not sure if I can still put that in the original box.

I have an SSD on the back and for the HDD's I think I'll just carry them with me.

The airplane ride is just about an hour-
How do you think should I approach this, should I remove all parts and completely disassemble the whole computer?

What is safe to leave on the case and be checked-in as luggage? I have the original box of my case with the styrofoam and everything, and almost all hardware.

Please I need help I'm very confused, I also have other equipment to bring with me (camera equipment) and of course my clothes, my monitor, etc. What is the most efficient way to transport and not give myself a hard time to reassemble?

shakeel amlay

Reputable
Mar 8, 2015
Keep the mobo,cpu and fans on (not the cpu cooler though, might damage something during transportation. Put the rest in their boxes, put them in a suitcase and check it in as luggage. If the new coolers on it are the same size they will fit normally, if not take out the big foam or cardboard holder that is inside its box. Bubble rap the GPU and put it in. If it is still too big to do that you might wanna try a bigger box or remove the aftermarket coolers or at least the part with the tubes and put that in a seperate box.

I agree in some sense, but checked bags for a consumer flight are handled differently than UPS etc right?
I checked my tower when i moved across country, my only mistake leaving the heatsink on the cpu. It bounced around, came out and bent pins.

USAFRet

Titan

I wouldn't leave it to the ramprats at the airport as checked baggage.
Ship it UPS or FEDEX. (same ramprats, though)

shakeel amlay

Reputable
Mar 8, 2015
Psu shouldn't be a problem its generally secured pretty well in a pc ( well at least the bottom mounted one are pretty stuck there), even if it isn't modular simply unplugging it all and zip-tieing it securely - first together and then onto a part of the case - would keep it safe.

directorJay

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014

it's like a dual chamber case the PSU is on the other side

directorJay

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014

sorry someone else did the assembly of my PC, what does draining the liquid cooler mean? They are AIO coolers, meaning if I unplug them water gushes out? Packaging them isn't a problem since I still have all the boxes of my hardware, which parts do I unplug?

shakeel amlay

Reputable
Mar 8, 2015
There is a coolant in the tubes of the liquid cooler. Remove the part of the tube(s)- depending on how many there are- at the point closer to the radiator/fan and not by the gpu. If any of that liquid gets somewhere it shouldn't on the gpu it could damage it, even if it is out of the pc. Remember to keep the gpu higher than the radiator so it will flow out of the system (maybe give the gpu a gentle shake to get out all the liquid) and to do it over a bucket or sink. It seems simple advice but you might just forget about when doing it. Hope I helped!

directorJay

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014

Hello Sir, for confirmation I edited a photo illustration of my question.

W2AGNRu.jpg

I plan to take out the RAM, SSD and Hard drives for now.

And of course the GPU, so is my illustration correct? If i remove those tubes I need to drain the liquid that comes out of it right? Will the (other end) radiator leak liquid? Do I need to seal those ends? And what do I seal it with? And since I drained liquid out of it do I need to refill them on my destination?

directorJay

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014

oh, so I only have to worry for the coolant in the tubes? Other than that, the radiator can be left open and is ok to shake on a plane?

USAFRet

Titan

How did it get shipped to you in the first place?

directorJay

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014

sorry someone else built the system for me, like I didn't see them build it. I do have all the boxes though, I'm more of a camera and editing program person, sorry if I sound too noob with hardware I just want to go through this without breaking my computer. Thanks for your help!

RobertBenito

Prominent
Mar 9, 2017
Last year I had moved to California after my graduation. On the recommendation of my friend, I had hired a door to door transportation services for our car and furniture as well as for electronic equipment. I had put the car into an auto transporter which was provided by the auto shipping California company and household goods and electronics devices were going on a moving van. It was not too expensive and it is a best efficient way to handle it.