[SOLVED] Transporting PC builds with mechanical hard drives

Solution
If the PC is going to be shipped (UPS, FedEx, etc.), removing them might be best...make a note of where each came from)

If just moving it across town in your own vehicle where it can be handled gingerly, then I'd not bother....

USAFRet

Titan
What is the safest way to transport PC builds with 3 hard drive containing important data?

Is it to take the hard drives out then put them back in, or just leave it in?

Problem: Two of the hard drives are part of a Windows 10 Storage Space
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-10-b6c8b540-b8d8-fb8a-e7ab-4a75ba11f9f2
  1. Have the data backed up. This is paramount, no matter how the drives are transported.
  2. It is safer if they are securely mounted in the case. Rather than removing, and trying to transport them separately.
  3. What box are you putting the system in?

PC's are shipped all over the world, every single day. Hundreds of thousands of them. Hard drives already installed.

They are NOT as fragile as people seem to think. Unpowered, they are generally rated for a 300g impact.

Reactions: RyzenNoob

RyzenNoob

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
If the PC is going to be shipped (UPS, FedEx, etc.), removing them might be best...make a note of where each came from)

If just moving it across town in your own vehicle where it can be handled gingerly, then I'd not bother....

The thing is, I can't trust the driver to do transport the pc safely, so I'll just take them out thanks

RyzenNoob

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
  1. Have the data backed up. This is paramount, no matter how the drives are transported.
  2. It is safer if they are securely mounted in the case. Rather than removing, and trying to transport them separately.
  3. What box are you putting the system in?
PC's are shipped all over the world, every single day. Hundreds of thousands of them. Hard drives already installed.

They are NOT as fragile as people seem to think. Unpowered, they are generally rated for a 300g impact.

Yeah, I know about that. That was one of the first thing on my mind always do a back up.

USAFRet

Titan
I'm trying to be precautious because of the data on it
Yes, I understand that.

I would postulate that where it already is, is safer than taking it out and transporting individually. More chance of dropping it as you are taking out or putting back in.

The drive, securely mounted in the case, and the case in a shipping box...

And the data on it is already "protected" by being in a second place. Correct?