[SOLVED] Transporting PC; worth removing 212 evo?

samr4560

Honorable
Jun 24, 2015
Hi everyone,

Just a quick question. I'm giving away my old desktop and have to drive about an hour to drop it off. (Mostly on the highway). It's got a 212 EVO and an R9 270x in it; is it worth removing either component? (Or both)? I have to admit I don't like installing CPU coolers and I've never removed a 212 EVO so I'm not sure how hard it'll be... Alternatively is there any specific type of anti-static foam I could put in the case to support the heavier parts?

Thanks!

Sam.

Solution
Hi everyone,

Just a quick question. I'm giving away my old desktop and have to drive about an hour to drop it off. (Mostly on the highway). It's got a 212 EVO and an R9 270x in it; is it worth removing either component? (Or both)? I have to admit I don't like installing CPU coolers and I've never removed a 212 EVO so I'm not sure how hard it'll be... Alternatively is there any specific type of anti-static foam I could put in the case to support the heavier parts?

Thanks!

Sam.
Foam or any other padding inside is useless. To prevent any issue, it would need to stop movement on the millimeter scale. Whatever you put in there will not.

Lay it down flat so the EVO is pointed upwards.
Don't get in a crash.

USAFRet

Titan
Hi everyone,

Thanks!

Sam.
Foam or any other padding inside is useless. To prevent any issue, it would need to stop movement on the millimeter scale. Whatever you put in there will not.

Don't get in a crash.

Solution

samr4560

Honorable
Jun 24, 2015

Don't get in a crash.

Thanks for your reply! I'm glad to hear, I'll leave to 212 in place... I figure it's pretty well mounted/supported anyway.

What do you think about removing the GPU? I'm a lot more confident doing that but I don't think I have anything anti-static to put it in.

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks for your reply! I'm glad to hear, I'll leave to 212 in place... I figure it's pretty well mounted/supported anyway.

What do you think about removing the GPU? I'm a lot more confident doing that but I don't think I have anything anti-static to put it in.
If the system is laying on its side, and you're careful...should be no problem.
PC's are shipped every day, all over the planet, with the GPU and coolers already mounted.

In a car, you control how much the pc will be bounced around.
I would not bother removing either the gpu or cooler.

Surround the pc with a blanket or such to reduce any vibration and secure it so that it will not move during an emergency stop.

When you arrive at your destination, verify that parts are still securely in place.