tRAS is at 31 clocks...

rawj

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
172 views with not one response?

I just received a new custom-config'd system (specs below) that I bought from an online white-box PC builder. I immediately installed and ran 3DMark06 a few times, but that's the only stability testing i've done thus far. I then loaded up CPU-Z for some stats... and I don't quite know how to make sense of my memory timings. Under the Memory tab, i'm showing:

CAS# Latency: 5 clocks
RAS# to CAS#: 5 clocks
RAS# Precharge: 5 clocks
Cycle Time (TRAS): 31 clocks
Bank Cycle Time (TRC): 22 clocks

if I recall, my SPD tab shows: 266mhz - 4-4-4-12 2T // 400mhz - 5-5-5-15 2T

My P5N-E is set to ALL Auto settings. Not sure how to report various voltage readings to you... but how concerned should I be that my tRAS says 31?

I've shyed away from trying memtest mainly because the instructions on how to use it are out of my newb comfort zone... : / system seems to be running stable (3DMark06 runs well so far), but would appreciate any insight I can get here... do I just ignore this and adjust timings in BIOS? Anyone familiar with the P5N-E?

-----------------------------------------
Asus P5N-E 650i
e6600 C2D (not OCd)
GeIL 2 X 1GB DDR2-800 PC2-6400
Ultra XVS 700W
eVGA 8800 GTS 320mb
NZXT Zero
XP Pro

theboomboomcars

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
I've shyed away from trying memtest mainly because the instructions on how to use it are out of my newb comfort zone... : /

An easy way to do memtest is download a linux live cd that has it on it, I know the ubuntu one does, burn it to cd, reboot from the cd, in the menu that the boot loader brings up will be memtest. Select that and it will run.

You can get an ubuntu cd here.

You don't have to worry about messing up anything on your system because it will not install any software.

Mondoman

Splendid
It might be more straightforward to download and burn an image of the Ultimate Boot CD, which has all sorts of handy utilities. One thing to note is that memtest86+'s current version is 1.70; these other secondary sources may have older versions.

For the OP: if memtest86+ use is out of your comfort zone, fiddling with memory timings should be WAY out of your comfort zone. The auto settings should work fine, and shouldn't cause a noticeable change in performance. If you change the settings on your own, you run the risk of data corruption, which may not show any obvious symptoms for weeks, months, or longer, but could still be slowly corrupting your data. At a minimum, if you are changing memory settings, you need to be able to run memtest86+ to verify that the memory is still working properly.