[SOLVED] Trash everything? Or upgrade?

Blueblack

Prominent
Mar 25, 2019
I have an ancient custom build PC which I mostly use for gaming (and as a data dump) … I know, that most of you will just roll your eyes, reading the specs I list below :) … but as I mostly play strategy games and don’t use a 4K monitor, things were bearable in the past (more or less) … but games like XCOM 2 are simply unplayable …

So here is what I used so far:

• Asus P5W64 WS Pro
  • Intel Core 2 Duo 2.13 Ghz
  • Nvidia GT 430
  • 4 GB Ram
  • SB X-Fi

Investing $1.000 is no option atm (without a bad conscious) … and buying a cheap system for $500 still hurts somewhat … when I build this system years ago, I used the Asus board to be able to upgrade the CPU later … but maybe I just waited to long …

So, actually I had in mind to buy a used 3Ghz Quad, maybe a reasonable priced graphics card and some Ram … so that I can at least play games like XCOM 2 (as a benchmark)

Does it makes ANY sense? Can I still squeeze out some performance out of this system for maybe another 2 years?
Any opinions and suggestions is greatly appreciated!

Solution
So, actually I had in mind to buy a used 3Ghz Quad, maybe a reasonable priced graphics card and some Ram
That makes some sense (i mean for You), if You spend on everything not more than 150$ :p

This system is completely outdated and i wouldn't invest any money in it unless You get REALLY cheap parts.

maziech

Respectable
Feb 18, 2019
So, actually I had in mind to buy a used 3Ghz Quad, maybe a reasonable priced graphics card and some Ram
That makes some sense (i mean for You), if You spend on everything not more than 150$ :p

This system is completely outdated and i wouldn't invest any money in it unless You get REALLY cheap parts.

Solution