Trash old HD?

Joe Chaffin

Reputable
Feb 15, 2014
20_March_2014_17_37.png

Above are my current drive Benchmarks. Horrible. I bought a new WD 64 mb 1TB drive. My question is, should I trash this drive or keep it for storage? If i do keep it I should def move my OS off of it right? Personally I think the drive is going bad. It has a few bad sectors. It is over 7 years old. it has been a good one. I think the new 1TB drive will be fine for me storage wise. I have never even filled this drive up.

Solution

Yes they are. It might be better to trash it since you're also saying it has bad sectors.

If you have confidential or important documents that you don't want anyone to see use this tool http://www.dban.org/

the_crippler

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
Storage is cheap. When in doubt, trash the drive. Nothing wrong with throwing it in an enclosure for file storage if you want to, just don't trust it with anything important. Again, storage is cheap and you already sound like you're not sure about this drive.

Joe Chaffin

Reputable
Feb 15, 2014

Those benchmarks are pretty awful, right?

th3controller

Honorable
Jun 22, 2013

Yes they are. It might be better to trash it since you're also saying it has bad sectors.

If you have confidential or important documents that you don't want anyone to see use this tool http://www.dban.org/

Solution

bjaminnyc

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Definitely move the OS to the new drive. IMO there's no reason to trash it, just don't put any irreplaceable data on it. Put your downlaod directory on it, use it as a temp work space. It's not going to hurt or slow down your PC if the OS and programs are on the new drive.

the_crippler

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010

To be honest, I'm on a small screen, so i couldn't see, and I was taking your word for it :) If you say they're bad, i'll believe you. As another post said, and I mentioned - there's no reason not to use it as an external drive or temp directory if you want to, just don't trust it. I personally just get new drives because I know myself and am sure i'll get complacent and put something important on there right before it fails. 7 years is old in HDD years.

I was gonna make the same joke.

Joe Chaffin

Reputable
Feb 15, 2014
Do you think this could be the cause of chopping and FPS loss in games?

Here is what I have all new except HD:
MB= Asus Maximux vi Hero
CPU= i7-4770k
GPU= Asus AMD 7850hd 2gb
MEM=G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400
HD= WESTERN DIGITAL - CAVIAR BLUE 500GB 7200RPM SATA-II 7PIN HARD DISK DRIVE. 16MB (From old build Benchmark above)

I have been getting great benchmarks on all other hardware CPU clocked to 4200.

Major_Trouble

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2007

What do you mean joke? I was serious. Best form of secure data loss prevention I know as it's quick, cheap and ohh so satisfying if the drive has been pi##ing you off.