[SOLVED] Traveling by plane - looking for confirmation/advice

Big Swifty

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2016
So I've done some reading up on this here and elsewhere and have ideas, but just want confirmation and what's probably a dumb question answered.

I live in Perú (where PC components are expensive) and am moving to Argentina (where components are crazy expensive). My original thought was to send the PC through DHL, but that's a very expensive option, and after a lot of research discovered there are no other shipping options that would be more reasonable.

Originally I thought about selling everything but the SSD, HDD and buying everything once I get to Argentina, but the prices prevent that. For example, the Cooler Master case I found on Amazon for $40 goes for $140 in Argentina. After doing some research; a complete new build would be prohibitively expensive and it's more economical to take bring my PC in a suitcase. Before moving I'm going to try to take advantage of the better pricing and holiday sales here to upgrade from a 6'th Gen i5 w/ integrated graphics to a current Ryzen build where the only needed addition to the case would be a GPU (probably 2 fan 1650 Super, so nothing large).

We lucked out on Black Friday airfare and I was able to get extra suitcases added for a good deal as well. My build is a relatively and light mATX in a Cooler Master N200. I have all the original packaging for everything accept for the HDD (but I still have the anti-static bag).

From what I've read I should put the RAM and HDD in it's original packaging and remove the small CPU cooler that came with the CPU. It should be okay to leave the CPU connected to the MB and the MB mounted inside the case along with the PSU and 2 small case fans. I plan on putting the case back in it's original packaging complete with the styrofoam supports, putting that in a hard shelled suitcase, and filling in the surrounding spaces with clothes.

Here's my dumb question:

Since my case will be empty except for the MB, CPU, PSU, can I fill the inside with small clothing/cloth items in ziploc or nylon travel bags to take advantage of the space and perhaps provide extra cusioning, or this a bad idea? If I can, any warnings/suggestions? If I do something like this is it better to just remove the MB and CPU as well?

Solution
try buying from b&h they send to Argentina with very cheap price .

check "calculate shipping" and choose Argentina

you can get a full PC for US prices .. sell everything and buy new PC from b&h

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
try buying from b&h they send to Argentina with very cheap price .

check "calculate shipping" and choose Argentina

you can get a full PC for US prices .. sell everything and buy new PC from b&h

Solution

Big Swifty

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2016
Thanks for the suggestion. b & h looks to have reasonable international shipping. I'll have to check what the exact duties and taxes Argentina charges. If it's anything like here (likely) it'll be a little under 25% of the total value of the items and shipping.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Thanks for the suggestion. b & h looks to have reasonable international shipping. I'll have to check what the exact duties and taxes Argentina charges. If it's anything like here (likely) it'll be a little under 25% of the total value of the items and shipping.

It will be still cheaper than local prices and more over every new item Available . in Argentina you will find old stuff and not everything ..

you can get the PC case locally because it is heavy . other parts from b&h !