Traveling how to move desktop

Dankdab

Reputable
Jan 16, 2016
I will have to be moving in a few months and just built a pc, but I threw the box away with all the packaging stuff like an idiot not knowing I needed to move. How can I move my pc and two monitors safely? I don't want 3500$CAD worth of parts breaking on me.

PS- My case has a glass side pannel

Solution
If you can lay the computer on it's side, with the motherboard on the bottom (so the cpu cooler isn't hanging down from the motherboard), you should be fine with leaving it on. Provided you don't drive like a maniac and the roads are halfway decent.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
when i move a pc i normally use plastic, blubblewrap and lots of ductape

the monitors, i always carry them in the car, on one seat inside the car, not in a truck, this way i avoid bad surpirses

bubble wrap does help there too

Dankdab

Reputable
Jan 16, 2016

Where do i buy bubblewrap lol, the case has a glass side pannel btw.

staples..walmart.com..amazon.com will having packing supply and boxes. if you dont have the case box and foam the best shipping way is to pull the ram and large heat sink. you dont want the heat sink falling off and smashing anying inside the case. buy a larger box then needed from any shipping place. wrap the case in bubble wrap then into a two or three green trash backs around the case.then place the case in the box and cover with shipping foam seal box and place in car flat hre it wont fall over with the monitors take the stands off the monitors and place them in flat shiping box with foam. if there left in a car overnight where it gets below 32 deg. take them in and let them warm up a few hours before use.

Dankdab

Reputable
Jan 16, 2016

It wont be that far, probably a half and hour from where I live right now, and i don't trust the leaving the computer in the back of a moving truck, I will be putting all of it in the back of my car seats

If you have a large and heavy aftermarket cpu cooler, it would be a good precaution to remove that to avoid putting stress/strain on the motherboard. But just lay the monitors face down on a blanket and put the computer itself somewhere in the car where it won't bounce around. Lay it flat so if you have to stop quickly it won't tip over. Maybe pack clothes, towels blankets around it so it can't shift around as you drive.

I have hauled my computer back and forth from my house to my office in the back of my SUV a number of times without issue.

Dankdab

Reputable
Jan 16, 2016

I have a coolermaster 212 evo, I have heard this one is quite small for a cooler these days, what do you think? remove it?

USAFRet

Titan

The life of a PC, from construction to your living room:
Factory -> conveyor belt -> forklift -> warehouse -> forklift -> truck -> forklift -> shipping container -> ship -> ocean -> big giant forklift thing to grab the shipping container -> ground -> forklift -> truck -> warehouse -> forklift -> truck -> Newegg warehouse -> forklift -> truck -> distro warehouse -> forklift -> truck -> local UPS center -> forklift -> truck all day in the summer heat (or winter cold) -> UPS guy drops it (literally) on your porch.

And you're worried about a couple of miles in the back of the car?

If you can lay the computer on it's side, with the motherboard on the bottom (so the cpu cooler isn't hanging down from the motherboard), you should be fine with leaving it on. Provided you don't drive like a maniac and the roads are halfway decent.

Solution

Dankdab

Reputable
Jan 16, 2016

LOL