G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hello,

Is there a size limit to a tree structure in Explorer?

You know like;
C:\My subdiretory is very deep\it goes on and on and on an on\and goes again
and again\etc\etc\etc
Is there a size limit?

Thanks!

S.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Tree-View Controls
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/commctls/treeview/treeview.asp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"S." wrote:

| Hello,
|
| Is there a size limit to a tree structure in Explorer?
|
| You know like;
| C:\My subdiretory is very deep\it goes on and on and on an on\and goes again
| and again\etc\etc\etc
| Is there a size limit?
|
| Thanks!
|
| S.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

S. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is there a size limit to a tree structure in Explorer?
>
> You know like;
> C:\My subdiretory is very deep\it goes on and on and on an on\and goes again
> and again\etc\etc\etc
> Is there a size limit?
>
> Thanks!
>
> S.
>
>

It is a matter of the pathname limitation of 255 characters, not actual
number of subdirectories.

Steve
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"Steve N." <Steve_N@nunya.biz.nes> wrote in message
news:uXmub%23guFHA.3628@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> S. wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Is there a size limit to a tree structure in Explorer?
> >
> > You know like;
> > C:\My subdiretory is very deep\it goes on and on and on an on\and goes
again
> > and again\etc\etc\etc
> > Is there a size limit?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > S.
> >
> >
>
> It is a matter of the pathname limitation of 255 characters, not actual
> number of subdirectories.
>
> Steve

Thanks Steve!

S.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

S. wrote:

> "Steve N." <Steve_N@nunya.biz.nes> wrote in message
> news:uXmub%23guFHA.3628@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>
>>S. wrote:
>>
>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>Is there a size limit to a tree structure in Explorer?
>>>
>>>You know like;
>>>C:\My subdiretory is very deep\it goes on and on and on an on\and goes
>
> again
>
>>>and again\etc\etc\etc
>>>Is there a size limit?
>>>
>>>Thanks!
>>>
>>>S.
>>>
>>>
>>
>>It is a matter of the pathname limitation of 255 characters, not actual
>>number of subdirectories.
>>
>>Steve
>
>
> Thanks Steve!
>
> S.
>
>

You're welcome.

Steve
 

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002
1,242
0
19,280
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

S. wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is there a size limit to a tree structure in Explorer?
>
> You know like;
> C:\My subdiretory is very deep\it goes on and on and on an on\and goes again
> and again\etc\etc\etc
> Is there a size limit?
>
> Thanks!
>
> S.
>
>

See the recent post by David Candy on the topic. Very detailed.
http://tinyurl.com/a7cgp

It says in part,

"Total is 260 with each part max of 255. This is not a NTFS limit. This
is a limit on what most programs expect so on what most programs can
work with. The total limit is around 32000 with each part a max of 255."


--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Rock wrote:
> S. wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Is there a size limit to a tree structure in Explorer?
>>
>> You know like;
>> C:\My subdiretory is very deep\it goes on and on and on an on\and goes
>> again
>> and again\etc\etc\etc
>> Is there a size limit?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> S.
>>
>>
>
> See the recent post by David Candy on the topic. Very detailed.
> http://tinyurl.com/a7cgp
>
> It says in part,
>
> "Total is 260 with each part max of 255. This is not a NTFS limit. This
> is a limit on what most programs expect so on what most programs can
> work with. The total limit is around 32000 with each part a max of 255."
>
>

I stand corrected. Thanks Rock.

Steve