TRENDnet Announces AC3200 Router With Tri-Band Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

heffeque

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2002
I wish libraries, airports and other public wifi places used these new AC routers. When there's a lot of people connected, the connection is usually pretty deficient. Updating to these AC3200 should help A LOT.

Thudo

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
Read "tri-band" and got excited, expecting the router to support 802.11ad... disappointed. -- Whooaaa there: AD is out yet? Radified long time ago but no where ready for the consumer market just yet..

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Whooaaa there: AD is out yet? Radified long time ago but no where ready for the consumer market just yet..

I don't think it will be used for Wi-Fi, really... it's on 60 GHz band and has a very short range, BUT 7 Gbps throughput... Intel is using it for wireless docking stations, demo'd already in the end of January. Some new ultrabooks/convertibles can already be configured with Intel's new Wireless-AC 17265 adapter which supports REAL tri-band (2.4/5/60 GHz) and thus enables wireless docking.

Probably not too useful, but some folks can use this bandwidth for file transfers on their network.

Exactly, and it's not "not too useful", it's VERY useful for this purpose. Keep in mind that real-world speeds are far lower than rated speeds. For instance, with 2x2 Wireless-AC 7260 in my laptop I was only able to get ~50 MB/s (=400 Mbps) instead of the rated 867 Mbps using a TP-LINK Archer C7. I store all my data on a NAS and though I have a gigabit LAN wired everywhere it's needed, high-speed wireless is also great to have. Of course, this particular router would only be better than a normal 802.11ac one if you have multiple 802.11ac devices accessing the NAS simultaneously.

Status
Not open for further replies.