TRENDnet Launches 2-Bay NAS Media Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostsurfer

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
I was curious about this cause I wanted to see the price point, but shoot for $40 more you could get a synology, which can do a whole lot more. Plus this thing looks like a desktop speaker from 94.

merikafyeah

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Standalone NAS devices like these and those from QNAP, Synology, Drobo, etc, are way overpriced for what they do. The only reason why anyone would buy one of these is for the small size, but that's a hard sell. I turned an old Dell Dimension 3000 that's just been collecting dust into a gigabit NAS for about $40. I already had two older 1TB drives so in a matter of minutes I had a 1TB NAS with redundant storage. Loaded it with Windows 7, set up a few shared folders, set permissions, etc and voila, a high-performance NAS for dirt cheap. Best of all, if one of the drives fail, I can simply take the other one out and connect it to a Windows machine and just read the data easy as pie. No need to fumble around with tools like Explore2fs to convert linux ext2 to NTFS. Never going back to that again. When your household runs on Windows, it's very nice to have a cohesive ecosystem. Plus a Pentium 4 3.2GHz processor would smoke anything inside nearly any NAS that's not like $850.

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
I would like to have one of these. Currently have an old dual core AMD HP laptop sitting in a corner with two extenal USB drives formatted as NTFS and shared via SAMBA. Xubuntu Linux and low power CPUs running 24/7. Built-in battery backup too. but it could be quieter. It is more than fast enough to run multiple SHD video streams.

Shadowarez

Honorable
Jun 6, 2013
Were is the usb 3.0 on these?its 2013 would think by now usb 2.0 would be back of the bus by now and usb 3.0 would take over as a standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.