TRENDnet Launches Compact 200Mbps Powerline Adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
I've been looking at these things the past few months. My current wireless router (a cheapo Belkin 150 we bought a year ago in a pinch) keeps dropping out for no reason other than looking at it the wrong way. But i've read some older homes can't use them becuase they aren't compatible with older style wiring. Plus, these tend to be more expensive when compared to similar wireless router, and of course you still need to connect an ethernet cable to the thing. They're certainly not for everyone in every situation, but if you just want to get high speed internet to a single stationary unit near an outlet, these look to do the trick.

toothchatter

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
Ive tried two different versions of this product, both in houses that were less than 5 years old. it simply didnt live up to the hype. Hopefully this product works for some, but it was a no go for me.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
Tried the older version few years ago, and recently tried the 500Mbps one. It was just too slow.
Passing ethernet cables was the best option.

dthx

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
I tried several powerline adapters, in different (and quite modern) houses... They were ALL very unreliable and even slower than WiFi most of the time (even when their specs were 200mbps).

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011

Yeah, unless you go with the big money ones, these don't tend to be gigabit (they're 10/100 not 10/100/1000).

I wish I had an organized way to this too. :pfff:

azgard

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
[citation][nom]DRosencraft[/nom]I've been looking at these things the past few months. My current wireless router (a cheapo Belkin 150 we bought a year ago in a pinch) keeps dropping out for no reason other than looking at it the wrong way. But i've read some older homes can't use them becuase they aren't compatible with older style wiring. Plus, these tend to be more expensive when compared to similar wireless router, and of course you still need to connect an ethernet cable to the thing. They're certainly not for everyone in every situation, but if you just want to get high speed internet to a single stationary unit near an outlet, these look to do the trick.[/citation]

Sound's like I had a similar situation to you and this solved it perfectly for me, once I plugged them in and configured them it worked. I would also like to add as a testament to the quality these products have now, is that I was in a building unit that most likely had 16 individual apartments in some form or another sharing noise on my line, and again worked flawlessly.
The only thing I don't like is that without looking this product up, without a doubt its really a 10/100 device with deceptive duplex speed advertising.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Just make sure that before using these adapters to create a network you create a customized encryption key, or your network will be accessible to anyone using the same device and less than 1000 feet in electric wire from your network. The same model devices have the same encryption key. The key is easy to change however.

US_Ranger

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
I just helped a friend run Cat-5 through his whole house while it's being built. Running cables over the roof-beams, down the walls, through an underground tube to the garage, etc. This is the way to do is for most efficiency. Unfortunately, even new houses that are being built aren't doing this. He was smart and bought all the material to do it himself right before all the guys putting the insulation came to cover the walls. Now all his rooms will have wired internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.