TRENDnet Ships Next-Gen AC1200 Dual Band Wireless Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Let me guess, no USB 3.0, right?

Why is it so hard to make an 802.11ac Wireless Router with USB 3.0 when clearly an 802.11n router already exists with a USB 3.0 connection? That is exactly why I'm not buying this, yet.

It is a processing bottleneck. Even high end routers with USB2 have a slow 5-10MB/s throughput because the CPUs that they use are slow and merely 'good enough' to get things done. Moving a wireless router up to USB3 may be faster... but it is not going to be anything near what you would expect USB3 to have in performance.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I think the problem with Wireless-AC is that its still in its infancy and everyone knows it. Its hard to justify buying a new router over a Wireless-N with 450mbps when you know that router will be shoveled aside for the next Wireless-AC product in a couple months.

cjmcgee

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
When you do the next review of ac routers, can you do some tests with a mix of adapter protocols? All the reviews I find only have ac routers with ac adapters. I will have PS3 (g), Wii (g?), cell phones (g), tablets (g/n), laptops (g/n/ac), etc. I am worried that this mix of signals will effect the performance of of the router. A mix of 5 GHz n and 5 GHz ac adapters seems most likely to cause problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.