[SOLVED] Trendnet switch not giving internet to desktop

Pcwizkid1994

Reputable
Sep 27, 2016
Hello everyone i am in need of some help. I am in the middle of redoing my network at home and i needed more ports then what my current WiFi router has. So i bought a Trendnet 424ws switch off someone on the Facebook marketplace. Started hooking everything up. Now how i have it set up is. The modem connection comes into the switch. Then a cable to the WiFi router and the cables to everything else. The issue i am having is that i started plugging wires in for my TV and WiFi . They get internet from the ports no problem.. But my desktop just says unidentified network. I am new to the higher end networking segment so any help would be greatly appreciated . Thanks

Solution
Your connection must go Internet---modem---router---switch. Most ISP will only give you 1 IP address. If you place a switch between the modem and the router only 1 device will get a IP.

That switch is kinda junk. It only has 100mbps ports and may limit you internet speed if you have a high speed connection. In addition it is a manged switch that supports vlans. You need to ensure all your ports are on a single vlan.

Sometime these used switches are not such a bargain.
Your connection must go Internet---modem---router---switch. Most ISP will only give you 1 IP address. If you place a switch between the modem and the router only 1 device will get a IP.

That switch is kinda junk. It only has 100mbps ports and may limit you internet speed if you have a high speed connection. In addition it is a manged switch that supports vlans. You need to ensure all your ports are on a single vlan.

Reactions: Pcwizkid1994
Solution

Pcwizkid1994

Reputable
Sep 27, 2016

Thank you! This fixed the issue!

The switch has the 24 10/100 ports and 4 gigabit ports. also 2 sfp ports. My other question is would you know how i would be able to fix it so i can connect to the switch web interface without haveing to change my ip address on my Ipv4 ?

I have not used that device but most times you can change the management IP address. Should tell how to do it in the manual and I assume you can find the manual online someplace.

The other kinda non standard dirty trick that will work is to put a secondary IP address on your PC. You would leave the main address be on your actual network and put a second one on in the switches network. I forget exactly how you do it but it is just a setting in the nic on your PC. Not a "recommended" thing to do but the reason the function exists is to do stuff like that.