Treo 600 vs Kyocera 7135

I plan on getting one of these soon. They both have advantages and
disadvantages from my examination. It would be nice to hear from someone
who has had the opportunity to use both if possible on your real world
impressions. How are they for call clarity, sensitivity, ring volume? If
you had to pick one, which one would you prefer?

Next, I understand the data plans offered for use by the PDA section of the
device. Can they also be used as wireless 1xrtt modems to a laptop? Do
they come with the cables for that or are those extra? If extra, does VZW
offer them?

Thanks for your help.

Previously on alt.cellular.verizon, Ron Dawes said:

; I plan on getting one of these soon. They both have advantages and
; disadvantages from my examination. It would be nice to hear from someone
; who has had the opportunity to use both if possible on your real world
; impressions. How are they for call clarity, sensitivity, ring volume? If
; you had to pick one, which one would you prefer?

I have the Kyocera, the Treo was not available with VZW when I got it.

Call clarity is good within the phone, the limits I've found are
related to signal strength and the other party's phone
equipment/service. Call volume, otoh... it may be just me since I have
this problem in face to face conversations too, but if I'm in even a
slightly noisy place, I find it hard to hear the person on the other
end of the phone.

Ringer volume is adjustable from "do you hear something?" to "my god,
will you please silence that thing?" This is also effected by the
selected ringer. The built-in ringers themselves vary in recorded
volume. The Kyo's included desktop software includes a utility to make
ringers out of MP3 files. (I made one out of the cacophony at the
beginning of Pink Floyd's "Time".)

Signal sensitivity is average/good for digital, however mine has NEVER
found an analog signal, even in areas my old Mot T710 or older StarTac
could. I've since given up and disabled the analog search. Note: The
Kyocera 7135 will search forever for a digital signal; there is no
auto-off sleep mode. If you're in a fringe area, it can drain your
battery, and both the PDA and phone operate off the same battery.
There is a third party application called "Energy Saver" specifically
for this, available at PalmGear.

If both phones were offered when I was looking, I'd probably have gone
with the Treo. The Treo has more memory, OS5 and a faster processor.
It also has better claimed battery life, and I think a faster SD/MMC
I/O port. But as long as I'm still with VZW, with the costs of the two
phones, I'm planning on waiting for the OS6 smartphones before
upgrading.

; Next, I understand the data plans offered for use by the PDA section of the
; device. Can they also be used as wireless 1xrtt modems to a laptop? Do
; they come with the cables for that or are those extra? If extra, does VZW
; offer them?

The cable is the synch cable. I think the software came with the
phone, but I may have purchased the modem software at the same time, I
really don't remember. I hope it was included, since I haven't used it
that way!

Take a close look at all of the data options. VZW will try to sell you
an America's Choice plan with the NationalAccess rider, which is
another $30 ~ $50 on top of your voice plan. Depending on your
projected data use, this may be a severe waste of money. Depending on
your market area, you may be able to get "Minutes of use" data on an AC
plan, though I never was able to get that here. What I use instead is
a straight National Access plan, where voice and data come out of the
same minutes pool, but I lack the AC extras, like "In", and the bonus
nights/weekend minutes. OTOH, my airtime use is low enough that I only
went over my monthly included minutes once, and only by less than 10
minutes.

Another caution: If you do try for an AC with Minutes Of Use and can't
get it to work and then change to another plan type, make it clear to
the CSR that you were sold an inappropriate plan and that your billing
should reflect this by adjusting it to be no more than your eventual
plan, or you may get stuck with an astronomical bill... whether or not
I stay with VZW or jump to one of the GSM networks depends on what's on
my next bill, due any day now.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"Is our children learning?" - George W. Bush

Thanks for the detailed reply.

"Ron Dawes" <ron@dawes.com> wrote:

>I plan on getting one of these soon. They both have advantages and
>disadvantages from my examination. It would be nice to hear from someone
>who has had the opportunity to use both if possible on your real world
>impressions. How are they for call clarity, sensitivity, ring volume? If
>you had to pick one, which one would you prefer?
>
>Next, I understand the data plans offered for use by the PDA section of the
>device. Can they also be used as wireless 1xrtt modems to a laptop? Do
>they come with the cables for that or are those extra? If extra, does VZW
>offer them?

I've had a 7135 for several months. It's my 4th cell phone and 6th Palm
Pilot. I've only used the Treo in stores. As a phone, I think the 7135
wins hands-down in form factor. The buttons are much bigger and easier
to dial. It's got built-in voice dial. I love the clamshell design: it
stops false dialing, protects the screen, it's smaller when folded, but
is closer to your ear and mouth when open. I wish Treo had stayed with
the 270/300 form factor.

The battery is replacable - Treo's isn't. Ring volume is great - don't know
about the Treo. It can use any mp3 as a ring tone!

The little things are great: dedicated speakerphone button, volume/ringer
silence on the side. With a stereo headset, I can listen to great quality
mp3s, and if a call comes in just hit the headset button to pause the music
and answer the call.

The only thing I miss from my old Clie is the 320x320 screen, but the Treo
is also 160x160, so no difference there. The only pain, if you're used to
old Palms, is that the 7135 switched to Graffiti-2. I just bought Teal-
Script, which gets around this and also deals with my lefty handwriting.

As far as data, is can act as a wireless modem. I didn't try this, but I'm
fairly sure that it just needs a USB sync cable (or the included cradle)
to work. I had the unlimited high-speed wireless data for a couple of months
because they had a $100 off deal, which made it free. It was fun surfing the
web and getting email and hot-syncing, but it wasn't too fast, and $45/month
is way too much.

David

In article <u9t3g0hp58iumjv2etotp3a5jitf0siafq@4ax.com>,
david@therogoffs.com says...
> "Ron Dawes" <ron@dawes.com> wrote:
> I've had a 7135 for several months. It's my 4th cell phone and 6th Palm
> Pilot.
> The only thing I miss from my old Clie is the 320x320 screen, but the Treo
> is also 160x160, so no difference there. The only pain, if you're used to
> old Palms, is that the 7135 switched to Graffiti-2. I just bought Teal-
> Script, which gets around this and also deals with my lefty handwriting.

There's a workaround for going back to the original Graffiti that
involves loading the graffiti file from an earlier version of the OS.
You should be able to find the workaround online. I don't need it
because my 7135 (from April 2003) has the original Graffiti.

> As far as data, is can act as a wireless modem. I didn't try this, but I'm
> fairly sure that it just needs a USB sync cable (or the included cradle)
> to work. I had the unlimited high-speed wireless data for a couple of months
> because they had a $100 off deal, which made it free. It was fun surfing the
> web and getting email and hot-syncing, but it wasn't too fast, and $45/month
> is way too much.

I was able to get the NA-MOU option added to my plan, so I use minutes
for my occasional high-speed data usage without having to pay for a data
plan. I don't use it as a modem, though.

--
Michael D. Sullivan
Bethesda, MD, USA

TRENDING THREADS