Tri-booting windows 7, windows 8, and linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

morgoth780

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2011
I currently have windows 7 and ubuntu 11.10 on my computer. I also want to install windows 8, but my friend did that and he can't boot into linux. Does anyone know of a fix for this, or even if there is one?

Solution
There are two ways of triple booting Windows 7 + 8 + Ubuntu 11.10
1) Have Windows 8 control the booting
2) Have Ubuntu to control the booting
Windows 7 cannot boot Windows 8.

If you choose 1):
You can install Windows 8 a) to free partition or b) to VHD

If you choose 2) you have to install Windows 8 to partition or Ubuntu will not know about it.

Best would be Method 1) b) - Windows 7 and Ubuntu on partintions, Windows 8 to VHD

To install Windows 8 to VHD - there are plenty of tutorials on the internet. Follow one of them.

At this point you would have all three OS installed but only Windows 7 and Windows 8 present in boot menu.(Windows boot menu - Windows MBR)

The last step is to create an entry for Ubuntu 11.10 in Windows BCD (boot...

hapkido

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
You might have to use the Linux boot manager to get them all to show up.

Depending on what you're doing in Linux, it may be easier/better to install VM viewer and install Ubuntu as an image and just launch the VM. Then you can run them simultaneously.

I don't know why you'd want to install Win 7 and 8 on the same machine, though...

boyans

Distinguished
May 29, 2011
There are two ways of triple booting Windows 7 + 8 + Ubuntu 11.10
1) Have Windows 8 control the booting
2) Have Ubuntu to control the booting
Windows 7 cannot boot Windows 8.

If you choose 1):
You can install Windows 8 a) to free partition or b) to VHD

If you choose 2) you have to install Windows 8 to partition or Ubuntu will not know about it.

Best would be Method 1) b) - Windows 7 and Ubuntu on partintions, Windows 8 to VHD

To install Windows 8 to VHD - there are plenty of tutorials on the internet. Follow one of them.

At this point you would have all three OS installed but only Windows 7 and Windows 8 present in boot menu.(Windows boot menu - Windows MBR)

The last step is to create an entry for Ubuntu 11.10 in Windows BCD (boot config data) store. You can use this clean and easy solution:

Copy file "/boot/grub/boot.img" from Ubuntu to Windows 7 partition - best in Windows "\" root folder. (This step can precede Windows 8 install as you have a dual boot install to start with - if later you can use the utility "ext2fsd" to access Ubuntu from Windows.)
Now create a "BootSectorLoader" in BCD and give it as "BootSectorFile" the file "\boot.img" - see here -> http://www.boyans.net look for how to create Linux loader.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS