TRI- SLI post your comments and results

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
Anyone here running tri-sli?

I am setting a evga 780i with 2 bfg factory water cooled 8800GTX i want to tri-sli it.
Anyone have any experince with running tri-sli?
Any new info anyone has seen on tri-sli drivers?

pchoi04

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
In my opinion, NO GAME is worth $1500 in graphics cards. You could build a whole system for that. I think in theory multi GPU setups is a great idea but if I'm paying for 2 video cards, naturally I would expect my performance to double and with 3 cards, triple. Also many games don't take advantage of SLI. In some games the benchmarks for Tri SLI were amazing at super high res and for other games performance increases were extrememly minute.

Also at the moment Tri SLI only works with the GTX. So it touches on a very small segment of the gaming community. Most people cant even afford one.

I think that AMD might be onto something with there spider platform. Not saying that its perfect and who knows, it could just be a big bust. I think AMD is really trying to hit the mid range segment and the 3850 isnt a bad card and if what they say it true: that with the spider platform, it will be completely scalable (skeptical, but I've heard so far it's pretty promising) up to 4 graphics cards (probably mostly speculation).

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
i build computers for people who game, its up to them what they spend - most spend around $1700 some spend $7000.

A $3000 computer is pretty pricy and a tri-sli is going to be over $4000

again, there are those who want the speed

amd spider is marketing crapola same as the "true core" will rule the world thing. the only thing good with spider is the 3870 which only 2 can run on the intel crossfire - i hope asus can make the tri-cross work?????

other wise i wasted $350 on the maximus extreme

every test of amd's quad core shows its no matchm has heat issues and can not budge past 3ghz with a newly tweeked am2+ mobo. if amd fixes the chip i will buy the spider concepth then!

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007

thank you zen i saw that when it came out

i was wondering has there been any improvment in triple sli or TSLI????

anyone using TSLI and found it too work out better then the AA article referenced by zen above?

pchoi04

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007

And you dont think Tri SLI with GTXs isnt a crappy marketing ploy? True, it would offer the best performance today, and I'm no way trying to "sell" out of my own pocket. Could I afford it, sure... I just don't see value in it. I agree that if my customer wanted Tri SLI and is willing to pay top dollar for it, I'm certainly not going to argue. And I'm really not an ATI fan so I could care less about the Spider platform, I just think its a good idea for the middle segment (assuming they can actually get something right).

But back to your original question: Again, with Tri SLI some games will give you very little increase and some games will give big gains in performance. The increases in performance can really be seen at higher resolutions (2560x1600)

http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/481/

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
if the computer runs crysis one frame faster then dual gtx then its improvement some people will pay for 1 fps

its not my place to judge what my customers want - i simply want to make sure tri-sli works and is not bugged.

the an and tech articel clealy shows it has advantagous - its up the each person to decide if they want t0 pay for minor ups

this reminds of the GT (G92) and GTS (512) thing - all the reviews are the GT is so great but the GTS is not when the GTS is way better the the GT - GT has cooling issues. same thing you read one review and everyone assumes its bad - anyone who has any experince with TSLI plz post

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
one more thing when u have to buy $2000 in gpu's everyone freaks out - but dell or overdrive or voodooo or..... has been selling $7000 pc's for years with $1500 worth of gpu's and no one says a thing.

a prebuild over price computer is ok - but $2000 for gpu's is not????

lets compare a $7000 voodoo or dell or overdrive or alien to tri-sli - tri-sli will most likely out game those $7k computers.

ok i am off the point - this system is be marketed as TSLI ready with 2 cards so don't get hung up on cost!

pchoi04

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007

Look... Please read my post again... I'm agreeing with everything you're saying. I'm not arguing. I work in retail and the one of the key rules is to "not to sell out of your own pocket." I just simply laid out my personal and professional opinions. I work with clients that have no problem dropping 30-40k+ on home theater systems. Does it mean I would spend 30k on a system... no... but I have no problem selling it as long as its right for the customer.

So again... I just wanted to make sure we're on the same level and that I'm NOT ARGUING WITH YOU. Just want to make that clear and hopefully the link I provided you gave you at least another resource. :)

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007

ya its funny - every system is ship i want to keep. if i do not want to keep it then something is wrong!

started on wed at 8pm shipped sat at 3:50pm overnight made it there this morning for christmas:
DSC_0087.jpg

above photo before it was finished

the last leviathon 15,200 3dmark06 with one PX8800 q6600 3.6ghz

stan116

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
Well yiou do not need to buy i 780i to run Tri-SLi.You can run it on a 680i as long as you buy the tri-sli bridge. Ill be trying that as soon as i get the bridge. I just recieved CoolIt Systems new 12TEC Boreas liquid cooling system for testing & review. So far this puppy really knows how to cool. With a QX6850 i have temps in the teens at idle and mid 20c underload.I just finished this build this afternoon,so tomorrow ill see how high i can overclock the QX and how cool it will stay. 4.6GHz or 5 Ghz sure would be sweet,!

stan116

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
Yeah being a reviewer has its perks,! I also had the frist Freezone Elite,which is a very big improvment over the Freezone. I was able to get a QX6800 to 3.86 with temps at 46c-48c underload. The new design and the 120mm x 120cfm also helps. The fan is not to loud at all, i can just about hear it over the two 8800 Ultra fans. one more Ultra and ill be all set for tri -sli .As far as the Boreas build,I have two 8800GT KOs,being cooled my CoolIts PCI cooling booster.The Boreas is also setup to cool two 8800series cards, but the GTs are not included yet,they are working on blocks for the GT.The ones that came with this unit will fit the 8800GTX and Ultra.