Tri X R9 290X PSU requirements

ragnarok_421

Honorable
May 23, 2013
I have seen a lot of info saying that a good PSU at 650W will support this card. However, I am running a CoolerMaster GX 650W and the card topped out and tripped the power off. I was running GTA V on max settings and I know this card should have no problem running this. My question is; is there a way I can configure this card to cap at a lower power level so it wil remain stable? I would rather the game crash than the PC.

Solution

It should work.

But afterburner is totally free, and it's trusted.
http://gaming.msi.com/features/afterburner
^just click download and you'll see it from there

graand

Reputable
May 14, 2015
290x draws 430w and I believe you will be planing to oc sooner than later, so yes 650w is more than enough. Jus make sure you get a good quality PSU from trusted brands.

To answer your question, jus dont oc it.

ragnarok_421

Honorable
May 23, 2013

Do you think that the Catalyst software that AMD sends with this card would work? There is a section where you can adjust power levels. I know AMD's software can be...sketchy but if I can work with my existing inventory I would prefer to do that.

Noah Siano

Reputable
May 13, 2015

It should work.

But afterburner is totally free, and it's trusted.
http://gaming.msi.com/features/afterburner
^just click download and you'll see it from there

Solution

graand

Reputable
May 14, 2015

i dont see any reason it wont. you got their latest card, so you shouldnt have any problem on with the catalyst

ragnarok_421

Honorable
May 23, 2013

Actgually I am not planning on overclocking this system. I just need to lower the power consumption of my GPU so it stops shutting me down. Factory calls for 750W on this card. (although I am sure that has more to do with AMP headroom than anything. It could be that my current PSU does not meet the Amp requirement. At the moment I just want to cap the power use by the GPU. Kind of like running things in limp mode so I can play at passable levels until my good PSU shows up.

ragnarok_421

Honorable
May 23, 2013

I will give it a shot then. Be back soon with the results

ragnarok_421

Honorable
May 23, 2013

That Seems to have done the trick.and I didn't even have to change any in game settings. Turned mem clock to 1080 from 1300 something. and reduced power by 20%. Now I am getting a CPU heat warning though. at 65 C. It is a little high but I dont believe that this is an issue. (maybe?) I am running the FX 8350 and I thought it was supposed to be good until you hit about 70C. Anyway I have another slot that I can run the GPU in that is farther from the CPU socket. I am going to see if that takes care of the heat issue. thanks again everyone for all your help.

ragnarok_421

Honorable
May 23, 2013

Wish I could mark this one as the answer too, I had to go with the inital response though. Thanks for the link though, I had to bookmark that one.