Triangular Pixels Strapped A Vive Tracker To A Cat So It Wouldn't Get Kicked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
The day I installed my Vive, I wished for this, but it turned out that the problem I feared solved itself.

Cats aren't stupid. Mine quickly learned to stay out of the VR space if I have my headset on, and she only got gently nudged a couple of times as I played very carefully for fear of stepping on her.

If I strapped one of these to her, she'd just fight to get it off until she ditched it.

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005

Your right - cats arent stupid. Mine has long since figured out not to bug me when I have my skype headset on

I dont have a vive (yet), but I can see my own cat fighting tooth and claw to rip the thing off him. He would probably be more of a danger with this thing strapped on vs learning to stay out of my play space.

And I suspect most dogs are in the same boat, they will learn where they can and cannot lay.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

I'm sure it's a better trade-off than getting hoofed while you play Island 359 with foot tracking ;)

David Dewis

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013
Step 1. Attach tracker to cat.
Step 2. Put friend in VR cat game who doesn't know you own a cat
Step 3. Tell friend to pick up 'Virtual cat'.
Step 4. Watch friend's mind explode/Freak out/Get face clawed off.

Another option would be to simply put the cat in a different room, something that wouldn't require any sort of convoluted hardware setup that involves dressing a cat.

Well, I know of many cats that wouln't have any problem wearing stuff like this, and since this will probably be a product, I guess it will be more and more miniaturized as years come by, so I applaud this. This will be a great invention when it is completely ironed out!

Interesting that you noted your dog first. /jk

Interesting use case. Based on the cost I still feel like a more universal approach would be to use a 3D camera or kinect and track for changes in the environment and simply flag those in the VR space. The camera would establish a baseline for the play space and exclude exceptions nearest the headset, but create a virtual "landmine" for anything further out. Might be useful/valuable for body tracking too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS