Tribes Ascend Thoughts?

jgiron

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
I am old school gamer and I have been reading up on then new Tribes game...after the recent post I am disappointed in the development of the game.
1st you can only have 2 weapons. In the T1 and T2 you could carry 3 (4 if you were a heavy)
2nd anyone could get vehicles in the original games...in this one you have to earn them.
3rd you have to buy "loadouts" for your characters. So if you want to be an engineer...bam $5, sniper? ($5), Medic($5), etc...

what are you thoughts?

Shazbot!

Solution
G
Hi, 

Let me start by saying Starsiege Tribes was my mmo gateway drug and I loved it. There has never been a 1st person shooter that touches the replay-ability of tribes and I am happy to see HiRez staying true to the original. 

To answer your first question about weapons; I don't mind having only two. Tribes like any other game has to evolve over time and some things will inevitably change. I would like to point out the positive here though. At least the weapons are familiar. Those that are not still mesh well with the original. They have also added more classes than previously available which attributes to the two gun application. Having 8 classes who can use the same weapon takes away from the class individuality. The previous...
G

Hi, 

Let me start by saying Starsiege Tribes was my mmo gateway drug and I loved it. There has never been a 1st person shooter that touches the replay-ability of tribes and I am happy to see HiRez staying true to the original. 

To answer your first question about weapons; I don't mind having only two. Tribes like any other game has to evolve over time and some things will inevitably change. I would like to point out the positive here though. At least the weapons are familiar. Those that are not still mesh well with the original. They have also added more classes than previously available which attributes to the two gun application. Having 8 classes who can use the same weapon takes away from the class individuality. The previous statement has a lot to do with being a free to play platform but we won't go there. 

On the subject of being free to play I say "hm?" They have made an excellent move on this front. Rather than forcing you to buy items to stay competitive, they chose a different route. Perks are just that "perks". There's no reason (as it is currently) that you can't make a successful run in this game. Some might argue that one or two of the perks are a must have, but outside of highly competitive play I say "nay". If you need a terrible example of a game that does not follow this trend refer to "Battlefield P4Free". Skill can only take you so far without the gear as our WoW friends might say, and with B4F this was a painful reality. 

Being required to pay for unlocks i.e. Having to unlock infiltrator, is justifiable for a game that is f2p. Can you make it without a smg and stealth? I have a big blue disc that would strongly suggest you can. It may be your thing to stealth in and cap a fool, and by all means they will let you do that.. For a small fee. 

Lastly and in conclusion. In its current state Tribes Ascend is a fair and equal opportunity employer who is attempting to be neutral, while still making a buck. I think Hi Rez has done a fine job and I hope they keep with their current financial philosophy concerning the game and fairness.  I hope to see y'all in game!

LESAULT

Solution

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

While I have no problem with the F2P-pay for perks model that TF2 uses and Tribes will be using, at the end of the day the only reason why these games utilize this style is that over time it can prove to be vastly more profitable than a standard up front purchase, and as profitable as a subscription based game which in the case of an FPS such as these, I suppose their estimation is that a subscription will cull business up front as people are starting to move further and further away from wanting to play this type of game unless they already have vested interest in it (world of warcraft for example).

All of that aside, Tribes looks great and I hope it will appeal to an even wider crowd than it used to.

pschmeer

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
Simply put, the game is way worth it. It is the best FPS on the market. The company has to make money, and IMO they are very fair about the way they are going about it. $20 is more than enough to get you competitive quickly and you will have fun doing it. For the best game going, that is a good price!