'Tribes' Series Free To Download As Part Of 21-Year Anniversary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Droste

Honorable
May 29, 2013
so, uh, any links or we just need to go looking for the Hi-Rez studios site?

Poor Dynamix, victims of a classic EA culling the second they released a forcibly rushes and Unfinished Tribes2.

so, uh, any links or we just need to go looking for the Hi-Rez studios site?

Poor Dynamix, victims of a classic EA culling the second they released a forcibly rushes and Unfinished Tribes2.
http://www.tribesuniverse.com/

The link is at the top under source(Not ideal, but a link is a link).

What do you mean "Unfinished Tribes 2"? That was one of the finest multiplayer games I've ever played. Massive maps. Endlessly mod-able. Player classes and roles. Vehicles. TEAMWORK! I loved that game.

Argent Gold

Reputable
Sep 23, 2015
Now if only Ascend had a larger community. The game was fun while it lasted. There were problems when I last played it, and I'm not sure if they were fixed since, but it was still really fun.

Pedasc

Reputable
Mar 12, 2014

I thought Dynamix was closed by Sierra before they were absorbed into Vivendi. As far as I know EA only published a couple of Dynamix games but Tribes 2 was not one of them and I didn't think EA had anything to do with Dynamix closing, at least not directly.

Schepkens Hendrik

Reputable
Jun 19, 2015
The only game not in the list is starsiege.

its the game i started multiplaying to begin with on a 56k modem i got the game but it doesnt run properly any more but they dont offer it for free :)

If you look at titles alone perhaps... but the way I read the description for Starsiege:Tribes, it is both Starsiege AND Starsiege: Tribes, combined in one download. Even referring to the filename (StarsiegeAndStarsiegeTribes.iso) it suggests both are being distributed together. Plus the image to the left of it (after expanding the info) suggests it is the "Starsiege Universe" bundle, which includes both.

durahl

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Had some fond Memories with the Tribes Franchise.

Started with Starsiege: Tribes when Friends would introduce me to it during a LAN.
Worst decision on their part as I kept destroying them mercilessly with the Spinfusor =D

Something that would only get worse with the later Games xD

Stopped playing the franchise about halfway through the BETA of Tribes Ascend when the "not" P2W thing started taking shape.
*sigh* I just can't take any game serious where people play against each other and where the getting stuff faster through money is an option.
No matter how you look at it it's P2W.

Chris Droste

Honorable
May 29, 2013
I had run a Renegades Mod Clan and allied with 2 others in the Original Tribes. it was literally the day Tribes 2 was released and maybe it was Vivendi? but at the time it was accused that EA shuttered Dynamix after Tribes2 hit the shelves, and thus began the almost legendary Patch spam, to a degree that it was rumored the networks loads took down PENN's LAN :p

so yes, i Loved Tribes 2, the fluidity and the welcome bolster to the graphics and vehicle systems had me in love, but the tragedy was that Patches to fix bugs in that game came almost daily for MONTHS. and they were NOT small patches. The game was literally perfect by the time they started shutting down the original servers. at that point people were running community Tribes1 servers with home-brew masters. the remnants of the original dev team got the IP rights to the "Torque" or "V8?" engine and create "garage games", which had some seriously incredible graphics mod community for awhile. ahhh well.

Some guys from the ..i think it was the Shifter? mod community came back along with using the Unreal2 engine to make Vengeance, which brought a lot of the classic feel back to the franchise, though it was often lambasted for undoing a lot of the positives that came with Tribes2, including the disposal of using it's game engine, which was better suited net code for the monstrous stage maps. I think I played Ascend once or twice. I still occasionally run into one of the bros from those days....Tribes was literally my life for a solid 2 years.

The official ones, yes. There's a Tribes Next community that's still trying to run some servers and keep the game alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.