Tricky question about Gaming Headset

Woodsman509

Honorable
May 21, 2014
I have an x12 turtle beach headset, and I tried hooking it up to my PC and xbox 360. What I wanted to do specifically, is have the ability to talk to people in my xbox live party, have the audio on my computer, and hear/talk to people on my computer as well. I do this by plugging the tiny audio cable into my xbox controller, then the USB into my computer(for power), then the pink and green mic/audio cables into my computer. It works! I can hear the people in my xbox party, I can hear the audio out of my computer, and my mic works on xbox and computer at the same time! Now here is the weird part. In skype, when I am testing my mix, the green bar moves when I talk, but also when anyone in my xbox live party talks! I am not understanding why this is happening. When I did an echo call on skype to test, the people talking in my party could be heard, but pretty garbled and distorted. How do I get this to stop?

CodenameHaswell

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
My best guess is that it's sending the signal out to both machines. The USB uses the mic, and the pink uses the mic (if I recall correctly, I use Logitech G930 and am strictly a PC gamer, so I'm remembering the days I used Turtle Beaches.).

Woodsman509

Honorable
May 21, 2014

So what are you saying, that the pink wire isn't necessary? If the mic works through the USB, why would I even need a pink wire? And will unplugging it fix this? I have to wait til tonight to test it, but I am anxious haha this problem is bugging the hell out of me.

Depends if the mic is using USB for power, or if the mic signal is going through USB. The old analog connections are still used mainly when using unpowered headsets, and for compatibility with pre-USB era devices and handhelds. But if the mic is capable of sending the actual audio data via USB, then yes, the pink connection probably isn't necessary.

Woodsman509

Honorable
May 21, 2014

Well, I know the USB is used for power, but it may also be used for audio. It is only used for power when used with the xbox, as you could technically plug it into a wall adapter or any other usb power source. But the green and pink cables are on the same line as the usb, meaning without extensions you can't really plug them into different units because they are stuck together. Which makes me think that you do need the analog perhaps. But how would that have anything to do with the incoming audio in my earpiece from my xbox party being transmitted as garbled audio into my pc?

Woodsman509

Honorable
May 21, 2014

Well, I know the USB is used for power, but it may also be used for audio. It is only used for power when used with the xbox, as you could technically plug it into a wall adapter or any other usb power source. But the green and pink cables are on the same line as the usb, meaning without extensions you can't really plug them into different units because they are stuck together. Which makes me think that you do need the analog perhaps. But how would that have anything to do with the incoming audio in my earpiece from my xbox party being transmitted as garbled audio into my pc?