Trident X vs Mushkin Redline 2133 4X8G for Maximus VI formula 4770k mobo CPU - Which has better Compatibility and OC potential

bjkill

Honorable
May 23, 2012
Okay after taking advice from my last post. Now boiled down to two Choices. They are probably identical in performance so I am more worried about the compatibility issues and light OC potential. Never own Ram from either of the companies. So your help or vote is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mushkin Enhanced Redline 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model 994121R

• Timing 9-11-11-28
• Cas Latency 9
• Voltage 1.65V

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226423

OR

G.SKILL Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-2133C9Q-32GTX

• Timing 9-11-11-31
• Cas Latency 9
• Voltage 1.6V

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231618

Solution
I have been using Mushkin as my primary source of RAM for almost 20 years,......so far had one bum set (1 module of 2 bad) .... when GSkill came on the scene they were very inexpensive and I used them for about 8 months......had 4 sets fail to "get along" with existing sets when doing upgrades, 2 of them didn't work alone either....stopped buying at that point.

id get the low profile ones tho .... $12 cheaper and not like the tall toothy things have a purpose.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226422

I've been using Mushkin memory for ages. I have 32GiB of Mushkin Redline DDR3-2133 9-11-10-28 (8x4GiB) in here. Works great

I have been using Mushkin as my primary source of RAM for almost 20 years,......so far had one bum set (1 module of 2 bad) .... when GSkill came on the scene they were very inexpensive and I used them for about 8 months......had 4 sets fail to "get along" with existing sets when doing upgrades, 2 of them didn't work alone either....stopped buying at that point.

id get the low profile ones tho .... $12 cheaper and not like the tall toothy things have a purpose.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226422

Solution

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Know the Tridents will OC to 2400 at CL 10 on both my IB (350K) and also on my Z87 (470K) at base voltage and simply a change of the CL to 10, been using Tridents since their release and all have had OC room, currnetly have 32GB od 2400 on IB and 32GB of 2666 on Haswell

bjkill

Honorable
May 23, 2012
Thank you for all the feedback. I guess I was never a believer in paying an absurd amount of money for gaming grade rams. So I have been a fan of Corsair Vengeance for the past 5 to 6 years. But I think both Mushkin and G.Skill are moving down the chain and coming out with more affordable ram for the Masses so this will be my first time buying them. I think they both have their pros and cons and I am sure they will be very similar performance wise. So I am going to go with the LP in Red from Mushkin. It matches my Mobo too. So I will be getting the "Mushkin Enhanced Redline 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model 994121"

Thanks guys for the input.

bjkill

Honorable
May 23, 2012

Actually I want to use something that is compatible. So compatibility comes first, then looks and performance is last :)
Are we sure that the Redline 2133 4 x 8gb will work with my Asus Maximus VI formula with 4770k? I am about to order them on Newegg....

There's not a single low profile 2 x 8GB set on the Formula's QVL ... only one is hi profile Corsair
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233287

That felt weird .... don't think I have looked at a QVL "in this millenium" :)

I haven't personally used it in a Formula yet (have several builds wating for Enthoo case to drop) but have on a dozen or so other ROG builds..... peeps on ROG forums have successfully used and it's a fav there. I have never had a compatibility issue with Mushkin RAM since I started using in mid 90s .... never had compatibility issue with Corsair but I use less often .... 60% Mushkin / 30 % Corsair / 10% other over last 20 years .... haven't use any "others" in last 4-5 years tho.

It's not that I have any particular preference for Mushkin over Corsair .... just that Mushkin generally has either a slight spec or cost edge when I start picking. Neither have given me any trouble when uprading years later and adding more modules even when mixing brands with same timings and specs ... that hasn't been true with some others.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
If the cooler is an issue, the Tridents upper fin is removable, can normally just take off the one in slot 1 (two small screws, one on either side and the upper fin slides off. And presto change-Oh, low profile, with only a 1-2 degree difference

rolldogg

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2013

My preference is definitely the G-Skill Trident, IMO Muskin was always just mainstream memory until lately anyway, extremely high overclockers avoided it.

I do remember back when Corsair was the King and that was when they were 100% concentrating on their memory quality and making it better and better, but now they've branched into selling everything but the kitchen sink they're just, memory wise, no big deal anymore.

I've had too many Corsair modules not do what they were advertised to do, so my continuance with Corsair is over!

That's kinda sad, because system memory was what put Corsair on the map in the first place!

G-Skill however has kept their concentration on their memory and it's quality and performance is the best testimony to that, to be able to run a 5ghz i7-3770K overclock with the memory running at 2400mhz is the biggest stamp of approval I can give G-Skill!

You get what you pay for!

I guess my curiosity is really to ask, do you really need 32gb of memory?, what are you doing with your computer that needs that much memory?

Is it because you have 4 slots to fill and your motherboard can support that much?

Gaming doesn't, at least none of the games I play do, so what application is going to need 32gb of system memory cause maybe I need to investigate that application for myself?

Now as an owner of a matched 4 x 8g 32gb set of memory, I ran my own tests at how much memory was actually being used verses what was sitting there Idle and never used.

So after the 32gb discoveries I dropped down to 2 x 8g 16gb and ran tests again????

So now I'm running 2 x 4g 8gb and still not using all of that!

Now I am running Win7 64bit Pro, and maybe Win8 uses more IDK?

But before you spend a chunk of money on a 32gb set of memory, you might ought to test the amount of memory your system is actually using.

My 2 cents! :)

By the way QVL does not mean other memory modules won't work with the M/B in question, just the ones listed are the ones they actually tested!

Have you ever wondered why the QVL doesn't list the modules that absolutely failed to work?

They'd probably get sued if they did! :)

Wow this is an old thread...

Ryan you must be younger than me :).... Back in the day (last millenium) , Mushkin would appear in PC Builders ads as it was a big thing. Computer Shopper had dozens of custom builders who, as we today still would name the CPU and Vid card. But what we see today also is "major brand 7200 rpm HD .... 2 x 8G DDRS-1600 (major brand)". Back then when one builder wanted to distinguish themselves from the pack ... you saw "Mushkin RAM" in the parts list. In recent years, more folks are turning to Mushkin again as getting those hi overclocks oft means more DRAM voltage and the Hynix are well capable of 1.9+ . Another thing is there's no longer a price premium to get Mushkin.

Mushkin was so revered by enthusiasts that when NASA used it in their space program, this was "buzz" in the old Compuserve forums which existed before the "world wide web" . In the late 90s, it was the enthusiasts one and only choice and appeared in almost every "build list" on the CSi forums. When Gskill arrived on the scene, they were considered by enthusiasts as a Walmart brand, much like AsRock in the early days .... they competed on price, not quality. Price was the "hook" for both of them and as time went on (Gskill more quickly than Asrock) they started competing at the higher end. Just as Asrock increased their quality and their warranty from 1 and 2 years to the industry standard 3 years, Gskill started competing in the high end market and now both brands compete with the best of them.

However, like PSU's, it's not what logo is on them, it's what's inside them. And what's inside Mushkin Redline is Hynix. I can understand your frustration w/ Corsair as they caught me also with a "switcheroo". First set of Corsair 2400's I had (user liked the heat sinks) was Hynix .... few months later when getting a 2nd set for another user, I noticed the timings had changed from 10-12-12-28 to 10-12-12-31 .... thought nothing of it till they arrived and no more Hynix.

So while these days, I would say any of the top 4 or 5 brands is capable of supplying high quality memory, once the module supplier is chosen, there's little any brand can do to make one product stand out above the other. To my mind, it's either Hynix or it isn't. Unfortunately, while many GFX card reviewers takes off the heat sink and tells us what memory is used, it is extremely rare that a review of memory will contain this information. I had a site that listed this info (very similar to Sin's site on MoBos), but lost the bookmark when I was re-oganizing one day.

I have watched several RAM lines over time drop their timings down over time. First I noticed the Corsair Vengeance Line drop to 10-12-12-31 but the Dominators stayed at 10-12-12-28 ..... given my previous experience I made the "assumption" (could be wrong) based on my experience with the VPs that Dominator kept the Hynix modules and that accounted for the price difference..... but then few months later, the Dominator's timings also dropped.

My biggest problem with the Mushkin tho at 2400, is if you don't act fast, they are gone in minutes after they arrive on newegg. Last set I got too a call to the factory and they had one of their suppliers put a set on the side for me. I wish reviewers would look at this when doing their memory roundups .... I pretty much don't care whose logo is on it, not a 'brand loyalty" kinda guy. I'm more of a "hardware whore", build a better product and I'll drop my current fav in a heartbeat. I would have started a thread on OCN on the topic but such efforts in the past have met with a lot of enthusiasm in the beginning.

I've spent a lot of time figuring out why Corsair dropped Hynix first on the VP's and then on the Dom's. This is pure supposition but what I figured is this..... let me know what you think. Market demand indicate how much of what speed the various sellers want.... like PSU manufacturer's to sell the most stuff and make the most money, most jump into all niches from budget buyers to enthusiasts. In early production runs, when DDR3 was relatively new, yields on the higher speed stuff is low.... so to fill demand, using a higher quality module may be the only means to secure an adequate amount of say DDR3-2400.

But when ya get to the point where yields improve, you now have access to more 2400 than you have demand for and are paying a premium for it. So "capitalism" dictates that you switch to a lower cost supplier. Now what can Hynix do if they have more than they can sell ? My guess is they drop their prices and that's how Mushkin has been able to eliminate their cost premium. All supposition but it's the best explanation I have heard so far.

Mushkin, Gskill, Corsair, Kingston, Geil, Patriot, Crucial ..... I'd buy RAM from any one of them if I knew what was inside was what I wanted (Hynix).

It got picked up by the person b4 you.

His comment got lost in the quote tho

I looked at it too, and I noticed that my G.SKILL isn't listed, which may be one of the reasons I can't get an XMP profile to work. G.SKILL has given me an RMA number to exchange my memory, but they won't send me the other RAM first, which means my right will be down until I get the replacement memory.

To which I'd add.... give them a credit card number....they will ship the new stuff out, then you can return the old in same packaging. That will let ya know how much money even newgg makes on RAM .... (about 22%) .... at least thatz what I was charged $155 when I had a pair of 2400 Mushkins replaced when they were $189.99 on newegg

I don't recall ever seeing them in Computer shopper in the 1990s..... kept one for nostalgia and just looked, didn't find any.... looked on wiki .... I thot it was earlier than that tho.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.Skill

Based in Taiwan, the G.Skill corporation was established in 1989 by a group of computer enthusiasts. In 2003, the company debuted as a maker of computer memory. The company currently operates through several distributors and resellers in North America, Europe, Asia, and the Middle East.

rolldogg

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2013

Well, if he's running an Asus MB, he could uduse RAM Disk to allocate a portion of his memory as a drive, which he could run apps from about 20 times faster than any hard drive.

Just pointing out they were around prior,

Sony was was selling transistor radios in 1955 but does that make the a 60 year player in the laptop market ?

and [not] too many 'enthusiasts' back then...They didn't 'come later', and all this was after the web was around awhile, not before.

I realize this is a bit new for you having joined THG relatively recently but there was a vibrant on line enthusiast community loooong before even THG existed. Let's take a stroll down memory lane. Tom started THG in 1996.... 7 years before Gskill started selling memory. If all this "didn't come till later" , what do you think Toms Hardware Guide was about those 7 years before GSkill got into the memory business ? or even what prompted Tom to create the web site if there was no audience ? Tom opened his testing lab is 1999 ... I remember reading about it and the excitement level leading up to it.....what the heck was Tom and crew testing in those 4 years before GSkill memory showed up.

There was a vibrant on line community long before even the world wide web existed. I have been following THG since its infancy and started participating in the THG forums I'd guess about 10 years ago. Before that, I had joined Compuserve in 1989 and began managing a Time Warner CSI Forum as Wizop around 1992-93. During that time, I also joined / sysoped on several WUGNET Hardware / Software Forums (WUGNET Started up in 1988) and continued well past the new millenium. In the beginning we had to stick our phones in a cradle to log on at 2400 baud and I remember it was a big thing to go to 5,600 baud..... 14400, 19200 and 56k followed with us jumping for joy over the years. We all used off-line readers (TAPCIS) to handle e-mails, forum posts and forum management as to stay online and type an answer was waaaay cost prohibitive. I think I still have the TAPCIS software box on a shelf somewhere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CompuServe

In the early 1990s, CompuServe was enormously popular, with hundreds of thousands of users visiting its thousands of moderated Forums, forerunners to the endless variety of discussion sites on the Web today. (Like the Web, many Forums were managed by independent producers who then administered the Forum and recruited moderators, called "sysops".) Among these were many in which hardware and software companies offered customer support. This broadened the audience from primarily business users to the technical "geek" crowd, some of which migrated over from the Byte Magazine's Bix online service.

So yes, there were hundreds of thousands of us happily discussing PCs, hardware and software online long before the web existed. It was also our primary means of tech support. I was building AutoCAD boxes in the early 1990s and started augmenting and modifying others boxes in 1993. Much of my time on the forums back then was related to creating customized autoexec.bat and config.sys files w/ menu structures. On our CAD boxes, we had 6 different sets of config.sys / autoexec.bat data whereby your boot choice among the 6 was determined by what you were planning on doing. The two DOS boots were for AutoCAD which didn't run in Windows in those days. Helix software, one of the memory manager software vendors that we were a beta test site for, figured prominently in that menu as it was used to break the 640k memory limit necessary to get any significant production out of AutoCAD. Was also kinda nice that when gaming broke, those same menus were handy playing games like The 7th Guest which was the "Crysis" of the day. While the game was acclaimed for its graphics and puzzles, it was hammered for it's demanding system requirements . The game is widely credited for being a "killer app" thereby spurring the sales of CD-ROMS and serving as wellspring for computer enthusiast gaming.

I remember moving in 1993 and my mailman saying "glad to see you go....now if only all you other nerds would move off my route, I could stop lugging around these 5 pound Computer Shopper Magazines every month... "

"Computer Shopper" started in 1979 and it's delivery was anxiously awaited each and every month.

Continuously published for 30 years, Computer Shopper magazine was established in 1979 in Titusville, Florida. It began as a tabloid-size publication on yellow newsprint that primarily contained classified advertising and ads for computers (then largely kit-built, hobbyist systems), parts, and software. .....In August 1984, the first perfect-bound issue of Computer Shopper debuted (at 350 pages), and the phone-book-size magazine regularly topped the 800-page mark during the early 1990s.

800 Tabloid sized pages !!! .... with a few articles and the rest all classified ads .... if "all this didn't come till later", what were all these ads for ? Why did this magazine exist; who were its subscribers ? Back then there was no newegg, that was "post millenium" .... There where maybe 200 pages of computer builder ads like Comtrade and such who custom built puters to your specs, but the other 500 pages was component ads. We followed their tech authors like Bill O'Brien (Thinking of his Lab of Doom still cracks me up) and Alice Hill from the early 1990s and regularly exchanges mail with them as well as others .

Here's a sampling of Hard Edge column and partial index from Computer Shopper.
http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-14026561.html

THE HARD EDGE - 521
BUILDING THE PERFECT BEAST - 26

And while Alice and Bill may hope wildly for a year of Pentium power and a roomful of wonderful gadgetry that instantly eclipses the generation before it, they also have to remember the accompanying trail of burnt-out video boards, power and supplies that won't power up, and that horrible moment last fall when things worked perfectly for a day or two and then, mysteriously, stopped dead.....

Bill has been working non-stop with a Diamond SuperBus motherboard for the last two months and has found that it does some interesting things. The board is a hacker's delight in many ways.

First, it's an upgradable motherboard that Bill has pegged at its limit with the i486DX2/66. Diamond actually defaults the CPU speed for this chip to 68MHz so you get a slight up-kick in processing speed right off the bat. Technically, going beyond the designed operating speed of the CPU has a tendency to null and void any warranty offered by its manufacturer. But if you're thinking that a measly 2MHz won't make much of a difference, hold onto your hand warmers.

What kind of "beast" do you think they were talking about building way back "before the web was around a while" .... in August of 1993 ..... burnt out video boards, power supplies, overclocking ?

The enthusiast on line community certainly was well established long before early 1990s when I jumped in so I could increase CAD productivity. The fact that a great CAD system was also a great gaming system was a huge bonus. The only difference then and today is that there are a lot more young folk involved ... was mostly late 20's early 30s age groups back then .... was much more expensive, I'd typically spend $6k on parts for a decent CAD box ....I remember thinking I'd never fill that $1,000 (1 GB) SCSI HD I added to a year old build or if I'd ever need that $850 SCSI tape drive system I installed a few months later (I did) .... I still have a $2,200 1600 x 1200 monitor that I bought in the 1990s and the discussion w/ da wife as to why we needed something "THAT BIG" to do CAD. That effectively priced the youngins outta the picture in the beginning but that was soon to change.

Companies like Diamond, ProAudioSpectrum, Mushkin, Micon, Nanao, 3 Com were like superstars cause they brought us things that seriously "cranked it up a bit". The Diamond Viper shocked the community with its whopping 2 MB of VRAM... Micron woke things up with it's EDO RAM (A friend I had tipped off after reading an article on that in Computer Shopper made 80 grand purchasing Micron stock.... Mushkin was the geek's equivalent of having a 4 barrel Holley carburator on your GTO.

All of this happened before the world wide web and there were hundreds of thousands if us there to witness it.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
You stated

"Mushkin was so revered by enthusiasts that when NASA used it in their space program, this was "buzz" in the old Compuserve forums which existed before the "world wide web"

Simply put the web was there and available before Mushkin existed.

Also, I simply pointed out that GSkill was around long before Mushkin, yes it was started by a group of enthusiasts, and I stated there were too many 'enthusiasts' - which you changed to" 'not' to many", which you are are prone to do, taking things out of context, changing them to what you want.

You made it sound as if G.Skill originated much later, which you corrected to show them becoming a memory manufacture in 2003, after it was pointed out they predated Mushkin.