[SOLVED] Trident Z 16 gb 3200 mhz only running 1063 mhz!?!?!

jeppefrostnielsen

Reputable
May 5, 2018
Hey guys.
Recently i decided to update my CPU in my kinda old motherboard, without having to update the motherboard itself. So naturally, i went in and bought the I7 9700KF, and the first time i launched my pc with the new CPU, i got POSTed. I dont relly know what this means, but i went into my bios after reading some instructions, and turned off intel XMP. After this, my ram has been acting really werid. When im only using google chrome, watching netflix it uses 48 %, is this normal? I went into speccy, and noticed that it only posted my RAM at running 1063 mhz.

here are my specs:
-Asus rog strix b360-g ( I am aware that this motherboard is only capable of running 2666 mhz)
-Nvidia gtx 1660 ti Pny
-Trident z g.skill 16 gb 3200 mhz
-Intel i7 9700KF 3.6 ghz

What should i do?

Solution
Turning off XMP is probably what reset your memory speeds back to default.

It's normal for your RAM to show as half the speed in Speccy (I also have 3200MHz RAM and it shows as 1598MHz for me), because the DDR in DDR RAM stands for Double Data Rate, meaning the value you see should be doubled. Since it shows 1067, it means your RAM is probably running at 2133MHz right now, which is the default speed. After turning on XMP it should run at the max speed, which should be 2666. (divided by 2 in Speccy, of course :) )
Turning off XMP is probably what reset your memory speeds back to default.

It's normal for your RAM to show as half the speed in Speccy (I also have 3200MHz RAM and it shows as 1598MHz for me), because the DDR in DDR RAM stands for Double Data Rate, meaning the value you see should be doubled. Since it shows 1067, it means your RAM is probably running at 2133MHz right now, which is the default speed. After turning on XMP it should run at the max speed, which should be 2666. (divided by 2 in Speccy, of course :) )

Solution