Dec 2, 2020
Hello,

I recently built my first PC:

ASUS ROG Maximus XII Hero
i9 10900K
G.SKILL Trident Z RGB Series 32GB(2x16GB) DDR4 3200MH
EVGA GeForce RTX 3090
Corsair AX1000 PSU

After a successful initial build, I decided to try out the ROG's "AI Overclocking" feature. Seemed like a good idea at the time. With little knowledge of how to overclock manually, I assumed that if a feature like this was built in, it should be relatively safe. I've since done some research and learned that AI overclocking is largely dismissed as a poor idea. Hindsight is 20/20, but that's a scolding for another time.

Anyway, at first things were going great, I instantly notices a healthy boost in FPS. About a day later however, my system crashed mid-game. This led to an aggravating 2-3 hours where I was stuck in a loop of BSOD's and repair screens. I immediately turned off AI OC and reset BIOS to default settings, but could not boot to Windows 10. After nearly giving up, my PC finally booted to Windows hours later. I assume that AI OC led my CPU to overheat, and it simply needed that long to cool to a state where it would finally allow for windows to launch without a BSOD fail? I'm open to correction or further perspective on this.

I had hoped that this was the end of my issues. With AI OC disengaged and BIOS reset (although I did reenable X.M.P., the same as I had after the initial POST at the very beginning), everything seemed to be running smoothly, with normal (AFAIK) temperatures, voltage, etc. I'd learned my lesson on AI OC, and planned to do some research and studying before attempting some beginner manual OC in the future. (Not giving up, but will do it right next time!)

I started performing my normal tasks this morning. Not a heavy workload—a Citrix connection to the office, web browser, a few apps running in the background. No games. Things remained normal until about 3 hours into my day, when I received 2 more BSOD's in short order. These fixed themselves quickly with automatic restarts, but are incredibly jarring to me nonetheless.

This essentially leads me to where I am right now. I'm concerned with what may have caused these 2 new BSOD's under a light workload today, when I've (AFAIK) reset BIOS to default optimal settings with no OC. Have I neglected to revert something? Is there any possibility of permanent damage?

Right now I'm basically walking on eggshells. I haven't had any more BSOD's in the last hour or two, but I'm just waiting for the next one to drop on me. I'm afraid to even test something like booting up a game for fear of inducing another catastrophic failure like last night. Short of returning BIOS to default settings, I'm not sure what other steps I should be taking to try and figure out why I might still be getting BSOD's at this point.

Apologies for the lack of brevity. Any advice/perspective/stern but helpful scolding would be very appreciated. Thanks,

Solution
OS may be corrupted this happen to me with new pc I get overexcited and OC yes!! then the bsod. Surprised how touchy OS is had to do the reinstall althought did not try to repair which may have worked. I not have very much install so I just did OS again. For happiest times would like suggest you not install everything come with motherboard and other bloatwares. For me they cause endless headaches for Asus ROG must be cursed somehow. Would not let this get you down there are plenty of rabbit holes that softwares set us up for. Reset everything and start over is advice I would offers. Good luck :)
Dec 2, 2020
As much as I'd like to, almost as if on cue it's crashed completely again, and I can't get it to boot.

Not sure what else to do but let it sit awhile again and hope I can get windows to boot in a few hours?

HappyTrails

Upstanding
Oct 30, 2020
OS may be corrupted this happen to me with new pc I get overexcited and OC yes!! then the bsod. Surprised how touchy OS is had to do the reinstall althought did not try to repair which may have worked. I not have very much install so I just did OS again. For happiest times would like suggest you not install everything come with motherboard and other bloatwares. For me they cause endless headaches for Asus ROG must be cursed somehow. Would not let this get you down there are plenty of rabbit holes that softwares set us up for. Reset everything and start over is advice I would offers. Good luck :)

Solution