Tried editing registry to read Mac external drive (HFS+) on Windows, but broke Windows startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

tfastg

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2013
I was trying to copy files from a Mac hard drive onto my Windows 7 32-bit PC. I had read you can install HFS+ drivers to make the drive read-only on Windows.

So I found the drivers online, and put them in System 32. Then I ran the registry edit that came bundled in the download. I stupidly did this with no registry backup and no system restore point.

When I rebooted my computer, it launched into startup repair and displayed this error code:

QnWuSNo.jpg

I suspect the error has to do with the registry edits, but I'm only partly tech-savvy so I don't know.

Here is the exact site I got the bundled download from: http://
Maybe the files were too old, or I used some download I shouldn't have.

I tried running startup repair (system restore point) but it didn't work, I got the same error message as before.

Should I try to undo the registry changes via command prompt? As I said I'm only partly tech-savvy so I would need some instructions on how to do this.

I just want the best way to get startup to work.

Thanks so much for reading. Please help!

Solution
Update: I reread the instructions included in the download, and it turns out it was for 64 bit systems...mine is a 32 bit. I hit F8 for advanced boot options and used the "last known good configuration" option to get into windows (big relief), then undid the registry changes with the .reg file labelled "Remove_AppleHFS." I also deleted the files placed in System 32, per the instructions. Worked perfectly!

Lesson learned: backup the registry before changes, and read the instructions more closely!

tfastg

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2013
Update: I reread the instructions included in the download, and it turns out it was for 64 bit systems...mine is a 32 bit. I hit F8 for advanced boot options and used the "last known good configuration" option to get into windows (big relief), then undid the registry changes with the .reg file labelled "Remove_AppleHFS." I also deleted the files placed in System 32, per the instructions. Worked perfectly!

Lesson learned: backup the registry before changes, and read the instructions more closely!

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.