Tried everything and now I'm stuck (PC turns on for a second and turns off)

agent_9

Reputable
Dec 24, 2018
I am a noob when it comes to PC building but I decided to build. When all the part were put together and turned it on, it shut off after about a second. I went online and followed the thread the I found here about fixing a PC that won't POST. When this didn't help I decided to bread box it and it still does the same thing; turn on for a second and then turns off. The only time it stays on for a little longer is when the CPU cable isn't plugged in but it still turns off. I have been struggling with this for several weeks and any help would be much appreciated!
Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5-7500
Mobo: Gigabyte H310M A
RAM: Patriot DDR4 8gb (x2) 2400 MHz
PSU: Corsair CX 550W 80+
GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC
Cooler: Stock
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C

Note: When I was breadboarding the mobo speaker gave one long and one short beep when both no ram and ram was installed. I tried each stick of ram individually in each port with the same results. I have already replaced the mobo (same model) because I thought I had shorted it out.
Thanks in advance!

Go here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems
Work through the list.
WORK!, not just read!
If you still have issues, come back here with the results from working EACH step in the list, and we will try to help. Since we can neither see nor touch your PC the answers to each step in the list allows us to eliminate possible problems and common errors, and give you a reasoned diagnosis. Help us to help you!

agent_9

Reputable
Dec 24, 2018

Huh. That actually makes a lot of sense. What CPU would you then recommend I get?

I5-8500 would be the 8th gen equivelent of your I5-7500.

agent_9

Reputable
Dec 24, 2018

Okay thanks a ton! I'll let you know how it goes when I get my hands on one
So would I have to buy a new mobo as well? How can I be sure I haven't damaged it?

Your current motherboard should be fine. Its very unlikely that it was damaged in any way simply by using the I5-7500.

instant off wouldn't be caused by having an unsupported cpu in the socket.
it sounds to me like your psu may be the issue or maybe a bent pin on the cpu, as both can cause an instant off and are the most common cause of this.
if you can try another psu...
anything with 300w will be enough to test a power cycle.
just remove the power cable from the gpu and connect the monitor to the motherboard to use the onchip gfx to boot.
also try pulling the power from the gpu as it is. and try powering on...
if you instant off you can discount the gpu as a problem.

agent_9

Reputable
Dec 24, 2018

So would you recommend buying another PSU? The one I have is brand new but I know DOAs do happen.

agent_9

Reputable
Dec 24, 2018

Okay will do. I'll see if I can get my hands on a friend's PSU.

UPDATE: So I was able to get my hands on a working PSU and it's working now. The problem now is that I'm getting 5 beeps from the mobo. I've looked it up and it means there's a CPU error. I have the CPU plugged in and I'm pretty sure I installed the CPU correctly. Any help is appreciated!
I also purchased an aftermarket cooler
Cooler Master Masterliquid Lite 240

TRENDING THREADS